What is the best, non perminant way of making new look old

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crankarm

Guru
I see this is a "my friend has a ....... " type of post. What have you bought?

If it's an Apollo just leave it out in the rain for a couple of days it will soon look like a pile of junk ;).

Seriously which is the dodgy area, home or work? If work you need good locks. If at home take it to bed with you as in the CRC ad.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Rust stuckers?

http://www.dominicwilcox.com/stickers.html

top.jpg

subaqua

What’s the point
Quite easy, especially if the decals you are covering have been lacquered. Electricians insulation tape isnt excessively adhesive and any adhesive left behind can be wiped away quite easily without need for chemical cleaners.

its crap for long term adhesion. so ideally suited for this purpose.

sidevalve

Über Member
The electricians tape and add on a load of cheap reflectve stips and any other cheapo stickers you can find, [fit 'em over the tape if they seem to have good glue on them], but fit them BADLY. Try using a few bits of string to tie the cables on too [not for real, just make it look as though they are]. But sadly as above you may be fighting a losing battle

buddha

Veteran
Gaffer/Duct Tape. Keep it on for a few weeks, ride in wet conditions (i.e. British summertime), then remove. Some of the stickiness of the tape will remain on the frame and get grubby.
I discovered this unintentionally of course :whistle:

Comes off with meths if /when you want to.

There is no defence. That whole thing about 'distressing' a bicycle to deter thieves cannot work.

A non-discerning thief will take whatever he can take. That includes 'distressed' bicycles.

A discerning thief will recognise the quality and saleability (in parts perhaps) of the delight before him.

People who tell you they 'distressed a bike and it wasn't stolen were lucky.

Sorry. :sad:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I see this is a "my friend has a ....... " type of post. What have you bought?

He'll be in trouble if he's been buying bikes without letting me have a look first ! ^_^

Touch wood, my bike has been fine, and get's left on many occasions at public access bike racks, but they are either 'fairly secure' or close to building receptions. Again good locks, and I tend to secure the saddle and post. If the bike is left in a public spot every day, then there may be a case for not having something too flash, but you'll still need good locks as the buggers will take them. The number of 'crap' bikes that get stolen around the University's is frightening - nearly all have crap locks.

Theives can spot decent components though. MTB's are more popular 'targets' unfortunately.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
He'll be in trouble if he's been buying bikes without letting me have a look first ! ^_^

Touch wood, my bike has been fine, and get's left on many occasions at public access bike racks, but they are either 'fairly secure' or close to building receptions. Again good locks, and I tend to secure the saddle and post. If the bike is left in a public spot every day, then there may be a case for not having something too flash, but you'll still need good locks as the buggers will take them. The number of 'crap' bikes that get stolen around the University's is frightening - nearly all have crap locks.

Theives can spot decent components though. MTB's are more popular 'targets' unfortunately.

My friends bike got stolen once, he put the lock around the bike stand and locked it, didnt put it through the bike though! So some sharp eyed thief noticed and casually walked away with the bike, when he came back, lock was there, good as new, but no bike, doofus!

Another friends bike got stolen from outside Stopford building, he replaced it, then the second one got stolen too!

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.

Lol, no. It's not me. Honest :biggrin:

Top Bottom