What is the difference between Lycra and Spandex

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Melvil

Bigtallfatbloke said:
I used to wear spandex leopard skin tights in the 80's when I played in a heavy metal band...ooh...I looked so Hot;):ohmy::blush::biggrin:

I'm getting visions of 'Spinal Tap' as we speak!

Bigtallfatbloke

..spinal crap more like mate!...But we did do the Friday night rock show sessions with Tommy Vance on Beeb radio 1 in 1986 I think it was!

Well, Lycra is a DuPont trademark for elastane, Spandex was also a DuPont trademark but because they failed to police and enforce their rights was invalidated, declared generic and allowed to be used by anyone.

In general usage however, isn't it simply that Americans use the name Spandex whilst we Brits say Lycra, a bit like they say Plexiglass and we say Perspex ?

(again both trademarks - like Hoover, Thermos, Cellophane, Alley key/wrench, Pilates, Yo-Yo, etc, etc)

Melvil

Is it me or is the word 'spandex' impossibly camp, anyway?

Imagine a funeral...the vicar slowly intones 'Bryan died when his spandex bibshorts were tragically caught in a combine harvester' - imagine the suppressed guffaws!!!

Melvil said:
Imagine a funeral...the vicar slowly intones 'Bryan died when his spandex bibshorts were tragically caught in a combine harvester' - imagine the suppressed guffaws!!!

:ohmy:
I'm having a bit of trouble picturing any scenario where you could get your bibshorts caught in a combine, be they spandex or lycra.

Unless it's like those tales you hear of people going to Casualty, having attempted to 'pleasure themselves' with an electric sander or something ?

Melvil

andy_wrx said:
:biggrin:
I'm having a bit of trouble picturing any scenario where you could get your bibshorts caught in a combine, be they spandex or lycra.

Unless it's like those tales you hear of people going to Casualty, having attempted to 'pleasure themselves' with an electric sander or something ?

Maybe he stopped for a wee between a hedgerow and field? His bright yellow spandex bibshorts just 'blended in' with the rows of wheat? :ohmy:

twowheelsgood

Bigtallfatbloke said:
I used to wear spandex leopard skin tights in the 80's when I played in a heavy metal band...ooh...I looked so Hot;):ohmy::blush::biggrin:

You do realise it's against all international law to make a post like that and then not post a picture for us to laugh at admire.

Top Bottom