What is the point of a 1 week driving ban?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Just a point - a 1 [one] week ban is 1 [one] week longer that any cyclist would receive however and wherever he rode, no matter how fast and as there is no compulsory third party insurance that doesn't apply either.. [And please no 'Oh a bicycle wouldn't do as much damage as a car' we are talking principles here].

That is quite staggeringly idiotic.
The reason cycles don't need insurance is that the risk they pose is negligible. That's why insurance for HGVs is significantly more expensive than for a small hatchback: differing levels of risk.

Always makes me laugh that I can take any old banger to Germany and drive down the autobahn (a dual carriageway in most instances) at any old speed I like, yet in good old blighty on a three lane m'way the world ends at anything approaching 3 figures. Speed is not dangerous, inappropriate speeding is.

This is the sort of garbage you get on pro speeding websites. None of this is true.

Wobblers

Euthermic
Which bit is untrue? Other than the world really wont end and the kittens will still be free to romp in the meadows

We can start with the "most autobahns are the equivalent of dual carriage ways". They aren't.

Many (most?) autobahns have speed limits.

Very elementary physics tells us that the kinetic energy varies as the square of the velocity. The probability of serious injury in a crash therefore also varies with velocity. There is an inverse relationship between speed and available time in which you can take action to avoid an accident. Centripetal force increases with the square of the velocity. Hence the ability to corner decreases as the square of the velocity. And the necessary lateral forces between tyre and road surface increase with the square of the velocity. Thus the chances of crashing also increase with speed, and the state of the road surface becomes more and more important - as the square of the velocity. In short, the assertion that speed is not dangerous is entirely false.

Last edited:
Don't take my word for it. Take your old banger to Germany and drive at whatever speed you like on the autobahn, see what happens.
Have done several times, top down at a steady 130, cruise set at a reasonable 150. no worries, no stress, no hassle. Oh and as a point of fact a good chunk of the de-restricted autobahn is duel carriageway.

Which one? You claimed you can drive down the autobahn at any speed you like. You are quite wrong, you can't, not many are unrestricted.

Speed is not dangerous, inappropriate speeding is.

Most drivers think 30mph is appropriate in residential streets. Twenty mph zones reduce collisions and injuries by up to 40%. You don't know what you're talking about.

Germany has one of the safest motorways in the world. It does have restrictions in built-up areas and at junctions. The motorways are also built to a higher spec. for faster driving than those in the UK.

It's not true to say the speed is not an issue. It's also true to say than sometimes speed isn't a major issue. If it were then autobhans would have higher crash rates than other countries. They don't. That's not to see that speed should be high at junctions, towns, bendier roads etc etc etc

D

Deleted member 26715

Speed is not dangerous, inappropriate speeding is.
^^^^^ This is the most sensible thing said in this debate

Most drivers think 30mph is appropriate in residential streets. Twenty mph zones reduce collisions and injuries by up to 40%. You don't know what you're talking about.
^^^^^ This is the most stupid thing said in this debate, apart from "Twenty mph zones reduce collisions and injuries by up to 40%."

Which one? You claimed you can drive down the autobahn at any speed you like. You are quite wrong, you can't, not many are unrestricted.
You can drive down the unrestricted sections of autobahn at any speed you like depending on the weather. Much of the autobahn that is unrestricted is duel carriageway. Couldn't tell you road numbers without looking on a map (which I can't be arsed to do) but for what it is worth I just look for the black circle on a white background with a line through it, to give it its German name it is the puttendasclogdownundfukit sign.

^^^^^ This is the most sensible thing said in this debate

^^^^^ This is the most stupid thing said in this debate, apart from "Twenty mph zones reduce collisions and injuries by up to 40%."

It's a peer-reviewed study by the BMJ:

UK cities should have more 20mph speed zones, as they have cut road injuries by over 40% in London, a study claims.

In particular the number of children killed or seriously injured has been halved over the past 15 years, the British Medical Journal reported.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8406569.stm

I am now going to blow the wifes pension fund investing in OXS and FTE if you want a share tip.

Remember shares can go down as well as up etc etc

Top Bottom