What is the point of this letter?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MarkF

Guru
I've been injured since July 18th. :sad: Unable cycle at all. :angry: However I've been making good progress and am well in front of my (surgeon) scheduled return to cycling, Christmas.

Last weekend, I could stand it no longer, the family was out (no spies), it was a mild day, no wind, midday, low traffic, great! There appeared to be minimal risk to my physical well being, so I decided to go for short spin.

Within 2 minutes leaving my house and joining a main road, still giddy with happiness, I got sideswiped by a single decker bus. The driver could not wait 2 seconds behind me, no, better to overtake me, then immediately pull to the kerbside bus stop, it missed me by inches. Normally this would send me into an apoplectic rage, not this time, I was so deliriously happy to be cycling again that I didn't even look at him as I overtook the now stationary bus.

30 seconds or so later he did it again! The very next bus stop, a few hundred yards past the first. :angry: He said "He didn't see me"! There was only the bus and me on the bleedin road, I had a bright red Altura jacket on AND a hi-viz jacket wrapped onto my rear rack..............

I reported him, I wouldn't normally but this guy was/is a danger.

This is what I got in a reply from First Yorkshire Limited. A generic, PC, generated response, obvious by the way much of the text was not appropriate nor relevent to my complaint. I don't know whether to be grateful for the aknowledgment or annoyed at the time wasted reading it.
:wacko:

Dear MarkF,

Blah, blah, blah, please accept my sincere apologies. Blah, blah, blah, incidents such as this are totally unacceptable, blah,blah,blah. Blah, blah, blah, First are commimitted to the safety of our customers. Blah, blah, blah, Due to employee confidentiality, I am regretfully unable to disclose the form of action that will be taken.
However, the action that is taken will be reflective of the seriousnes of your complaint.

Herzog

Swinglish Mountain Goat

Due to employee confidentiality, I am regretfully unable to disclose the form of action that will be taken.
However, the action that is taken will be reflective of the seriousnes of your complaint.

i.e., nowt will be done

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
You can't assume that nothing will be done. Those sorts of template letters are very frustrating, but take the Roadsafe one for example. They give you a template reply, but still do stuff behind the scenes. How do I know this? Because when following up complaints with company drivers, the companies often mention receiving the letter from Roadsafe and taking action with the driver. Also, angry drivers will often come on their YouTube video and complain about it. Funnily enough they tend to drive much better near me when they next see me on the roads. :smile:

It does take a bit of mental strength to keep going through those template responses. Just remember that companies are obliged to do something about complaints, and usually do. Bus companies in particular tend to take note of them. They may not do much for a single complaint, but they're bound to take action when a particular driver has had a string of complaints from many different people.

Also remember that doing nothing and not complaining guarantees that the company will also do nothing. At least they responded, and likely did something even if it's hidden behind a wall of privacy.

Like BM I would look on it more positively. They have clearly said the behaviour was unacceptable. That makes it very difficult for them to do nothing because if they do and the driver has another accident that gets investigated it could put the company and the management on the hook with the driver. The rest about not being able to tell you is fairly standard stuff around identifiable individuals and their personnel file.

GfromHull

My local bus company are like the illuminati, It take police action for them to even say "sorry"
I can understand your frustration with a letter like that, you could always right a letter to your MP it has worked for me in the past.

Jezston

Über Member
I had a meeting with senior sorts at a major bus company after a rather nasty incident with one of their drivers a while back.

They also said that due to employee confidentiality they can't say what's been done, but - nudge nudge wink wink - don't worry about encountering him on the road for a while.

I'm not sure where this confidentiality thing not letting them tell customers the results of their complaints thing comes from, some over zealous legal department I would expect, especially if they feel they have litigious employees or union issues.

But in summary, don't assume nothing has happened. I was given the same line and was pretty certain plenty happened!

OP
OP
MarkF

MarkF

Guru
Thanks for the replies.

Yes, they did take the trouble to note my complaint and then reply (even if it was a generic one), that's positive. But, I have no idea whether they will do anything or not, maybe they have one hard pressed,full-time, employee firing off generic "Sorry" letters to placate irate cyclists but don't take any further action?

I don't know, but I'd prefer not to have had an aknowledgement, instead, a later letter telling me disciplinary action HAD been taken. I'd be happy with that.

You can't assume that nothing will be done......

Agreed. But to send such a blanket template letter, falsely claiming reasons of confidentiality, is at the least poor customer relations.

There's nothing to stop First writing to say quite clearly that

- a driver I've had reason to compliment has received a commendation;

- or a driver I've complained about has been summoned to a meeting - resulting in anything from a "clear expression of company expectations", note on his/her file, a warning, to being taken off their route for 2-3 days retraining, whatever.

No confidentiality breached. Just a simple clear statement of how much importance the company attaches to the substance of my complaint - mostly spot on (not always, though). Aye - and it's First North and West Yorkshire I'm talking about.

They can and do do it - so there's no excuse for such generic guff :tongue:

If it was a chav in a corsa could you report it to the police for section 59 anti social behaviour? What is the difference? Would some bus companies be forced to take it a bit more seriously if you cc'd the police? Anyone tried it and still been fobbed off?

Crankarm

Guru
If it was a chav in a corsa could you report it to the police for section 59 anti social behaviour? What is the difference? Would some bus companies be forced to take it a bit more seriously if you cc'd the police? Anyone tried it and still been fobbed off?

He can still report it to plod. Just because the driver is a bus driver doesn't mean he is immune from s.59, does it?

Why doesn't the OP plan to be a passenger one day and get face to face with him. Remember me ............... :angry:.

Also why was his outing on his bike like an undercover operation? Are you not supposed to be riding your bike yet?

OP
OP
MarkF

MarkF

Guru
He can still report it to plod. Just because the driver is a bus driver doesn't mean he is immune from s.59, does it?

Why doesn't the OP plan to be a passenger one day and get face to face with him. Remember me ............... :angry:.

Also why was his outing on his bike like an undercover operation? Are you not supposed to be riding your bike yet?

The guy is a danger, I wanted him reprimanded and I wanted him to consider the vulnerability of a cyclist the next time he went out. First time I've ever reported anybody (he was that bad), it's not like I want to involve the police thank you, with his reg number, route & time it was simple to go direct to his employers.

I don't have to be a passenger, I've seen him since, it's his route. Maybe he was stressed, maybe he was late, he was very defensive, it's not like I am going to harbour a grudge against him, forever.....

No, I am not cleared by my surgeon for cycling just yet, I am 100% capable of cycling, problems will only occur if I fall off. :smile:

OP
OP
MarkF

MarkF

Guru
Agreed. But to send such a blanket template letter, falsely claiming reasons of confidentiality, is at the least poor customer relations.

There's nothing to stop First writing to say quite clearly that

- or a driver I've complained about has been summoned to a meeting - resulting in anything from a "clear expression of company expectations", note on his/her file, a warning, to being taken off their route for 2-3 days retraining, whatever.

Exactly, that's what I was looking for, I don't want the guy to lose his employment, just confirmation that he'd had a warning and the complaint had been discussed with him would be fine. Vague promises of "something" meant nothing to me.

Thanks for the PM, was very helpful, Iwill act on it. :smile:

Top Bottom