1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is the quickest across London ?

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by LLB, 14 Apr 2008.

?
  1. Cycle

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Motorcycle

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  3. Private Car

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  4. Taxi

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  5. Bus

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  6. Tube

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. LLB

LLB Guest

This has been debated before, and even been done on Top Gear (sort of)

What mode of transport is the quickest commute during the rush hour ?

2. OP
    OP
    LLB

LLB Guest

I will add that I was up in London on Saturday in a car, and on a Motorcycle a couple of weeks ago.

My moneys on this order

Motorcycle
    Cycle
    Tube
    Taxi
    Bus
    Private Car

3. Arch

Arch Married to Night Train

I gather than normally when it's done (as it often is in Bike Week in various cities), the bike wins - of course it helps if there are bike-only shortcuts and so on. Restricted to the road only, I'd imagine the bike and motorbike would be close - and the size (and therefore filterability) of the motorbike might make a difference.

oh, and whether it was rush hour - I assume that was the assumption, not 3am when the roads are really quiet...

4. OP
    OP
    LLB

LLB Guest

Can't change the title, but rush hour traffic on any given weekday.

5. Melvil

Melvil Standard nerd

Much as I'd like it to be bicycle, I reckon a decent motorbike would beat any of the others hands down.

6. PrettyboyTim

PrettyboyTim New Member

It depends a lot on where you're going to and from. My guess is that if you can get most of the way there by going on a single tube line, it'll be faster than pretty much anything else. If have to change a lot or take a rather roundabout route, it won't do as well.

7. walker

walker New Member

I'm going for tube. as long as its running on time.

8. Maggot

Maggot Star of BBC 5Lives Ballot Box Brigade

I think this was done recently, in a magazine possibly Mens Health, and I seem to remember the quickest was a roller blader. Maybe BentMickey will have a bit more info.

9. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

I can often make better time than motorbikes until we get through the worst of the traffic and then they come into their own.

10. OP
    OP
    LLB

LLB Guest

How do scoots compare to cycles ?

11. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

They can be very quick indeed, the problem, like for m/bikes, comes when the traffic is solid. That is when the cycle with its superior manoeuvrability and ability to slip through the smallest of gaps comes into its own.

12. tdr1nka

tdr1nka Taking the biscuit

Only marginally less irritating to car drivers!:blush:

Motorbike is most probably the fastest overall.

13. Mort

Mort Interstellar Overalls

I used to commute from south London to the City. Motorbike was easily the fastest then.

14. OP
    OP
    LLB

LLB Guest

Was strange then that Top Gear didn't include them in the challenge :blush:

15. Maz

Maz Guru

I was reading in the latest CTC mag that in central London at peak time the average car speed is 9.8 (or was it 9.3) mph.