Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Taxi

• Bus

• Tube

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LLB

This has been debated before, and even been done on Top Gear (sort of)

What mode of transport is the quickest commute during the rush hour ?

OP
OP
L

LLB

I will add that I was up in London on Saturday in a car, and on a Motorcycle a couple of weeks ago.

My moneys on this order

Motorcycle
Cycle
Tube
Taxi
Bus
Private Car

Arch

Married to Night Train
I gather than normally when it's done (as it often is in Bike Week in various cities), the bike wins - of course it helps if there are bike-only shortcuts and so on. Restricted to the road only, I'd imagine the bike and motorbike would be close - and the size (and therefore filterability) of the motorbike might make a difference.

oh, and whether it was rush hour - I assume that was the assumption, not 3am when the roads are really quiet...

Melvil

Much as I'd like it to be bicycle, I reckon a decent motorbike would beat any of the others hands down.

PrettyboyTim

It depends a lot on where you're going to and from. My guess is that if you can get most of the way there by going on a single tube line, it'll be faster than pretty much anything else. If have to change a lot or take a rather roundabout route, it won't do as well.

domtyler

Über Member
I can often make better time than motorbikes until we get through the worst of the traffic and then they come into their own.

OP
OP
L

LLB

How do scoots compare to cycles ?

domtyler

Über Member
linfordlunchbox said:
How do scoots compare to cycles ?

They can be very quick indeed, the problem, like for m/bikes, comes when the traffic is solid. That is when the cycle with its superior manoeuvrability and ability to slip through the smallest of gaps comes into its own.

OP
OP
L

LLB

Uncle Mort said:
I used to commute from south London to the City. Motorbike was easily the fastest then.

Was strange then that Top Gear didn't include them in the challenge :blush:

Maz

Guru
I was reading in the latest CTC mag that in central London at peak time the average car speed is 9.8 (or was it 9.3) mph.

Top Bottom