What is this a copy of ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Having done a bit of research into which are the more reliable of the chinese carbon suppliers I'm thinking of this:
fm209 (1).jpg

Many of the chinese offerings are straight lifts from the designs of western brands, sometimes even from the same moulds, and as the design is quite distinctive around the seat-stay, seat tube, top tube junction I wondered if any of the assembled wisdom could hazard a guess as to what this might be copy of?

And yes, I am fully aware of the pros & cons of buying direct from the P.R.C., and whilst I am interested to know if this a copy, I am not going to be buying on the strength of that knowledge, nor will I be getting it painted to resemble a branded frame.

Is that how the seat post clamps in ? I'd be wary of the design just because of that. If the clamp doesn't clamp - you can't send it back to China.

No idea what the frame might be based on but I don't see that being important. A copy won't necessarily have the same carbon or lay up or angles etc..

You would need to find out the code to determine the parentage. A common one is FM-066 which is close copy of Cervelo R5. You can send an email to the vendor to get the code and parentage.

Last edited:

Dan77

I was wondering the same about this frame my uncle recently received from China. He had some issues with communication/delays but it arrived and looks the part.

I've found similar looking frames but not with the rounded rear stays by the axle.
received_850179642506821.jpeg

Last edited:

Dan77

I don't know why it's important, if it's a copy of a well regarded frame there's no guarantee that they have copied the quality of construction.

It's not important. Just interesting. There's always the possibility that they are the same frame made in the same factory as the branded version. That's a common problem with outsourcing manufacturing to China. Of course it's completely possible that it's just a rip off or their own design too.

My uncle also got Mavic Cosmic wheels for about £250 out of China. They look the part and he believes they are genuine (I think he has some basis for this belief) but I'm not sure I would want to trust it on a wheel. Could be a case of the factory they are outsourced to selling them direct at a cheaper rate or they could be total fakes.

OP
OP
PpPete

PpPete

Legendary Member
It's not important. Just interesting. There's always the possibility that they are the same frame made in the same factory as the branded version.
Precisely - this.
if it's a copy of a well regarded frame there's no guarantee that they have copied the quality of construction.
Also true - but as per the OP, I have done my research into which are the reputable sources in China.
The warranties of however many years they offer are fine up to a point but usually involve getting the frame back to China at a cost not very different to the initial outlay.... it's a risk I'm prepare to take.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Precisely - this.

Also true - but as per the OP, I have done my research into which are the reputable sources in China.
The warranties of however many years they offer are fine up to a point but usually involve getting the frame back to China at a cost not very different to the initial outlay.... it's a risk I'm prepare to take.

Not my area at all, but a handful of members on here have been well pleased with their Chinese carbon frames.

You've tracked down the reputable suppliers, so I reckon all will be well.

Faratid

It's not a copy, it's the real thing.

Almost all carbon frames, or more accurately, carbon frame tubes, are made in Taiwan (which China claims is their territory) or China itself. This is where most all the major european manufacturers get their tubes from. It may be 'assembled' in Belgium for example, it may say 'Pinnarello' on the painted final version, but it comes, in all probability, from Taiwan. The Giant factory is in Taiwan. They make frames and tubes for most carbon bikes, not just with the name 'Giant' on them.

The biggest risk of buying direct from PRC is the potential of import tax, and not being covered by UK laws for consumer rights.

The great thing about carbon bike frames & tubes is that it's mostly not cost effective for some back street knock off workshop to run out such products.

My current road racing bike is badged 'Merlin', has a UCI sticker on it that identifies it as a Ridley Fenix, (Belgian), but the tubes were supplied from Asia.

Top Bottom