What is this plant that has taken over my lawn?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'd nuke it. Plenty of flowers for the bees around the lawn, not in it. Plus my lawn isn't very big, and there is a huge field behind the house with tonnes of wild flowers in it (now the council doesn't mow it - it was a local school's football field - it's wild now !)

figbat

Slippery scientist
This year we have let the lawn go wild. We decided the only reason to mow it was because that's what people do to lawns - we don't use it for lawn tennis or croquet or any other activities that demands a mown surface, and having let it go wild there are numerous flowering species which has led to a lot of bee and other insect activity. We mowed a few pathways through it to give easy access to certain areas of the garden (and to make it look like a deliberate wild meadow rather than an abandoned waste land!).

The issue now is when and how to cut the very long grass as and when it is time, but we'll cross that bridge when we get there. Maybe we can get a crop of hay from it for our degus.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
not having any wild grass or weeds growing on my lawn....plenty of plants around the borders they can feed off. Theres a reason why its called a lawn

1624873075147.png

Gillstay

Über Member
This year we have let the lawn go wild. We decided the only reason to mow it was because that's what people do to lawns - we don't use it for lawn tennis or croquet or any other activities that demands a mown surface, and having let it go wild there are numerous flowering species which has led to a lot of bee and other insect activity. We mowed a few pathways through it to give easy access to certain areas of the garden (and to make it look like a deliberate wild meadow rather than an abandoned waste land!).

The issue now is when and how to cut the very long grass as and when it is time, but we'll cross that bridge when we get there. Maybe we can get a crop of hay from it for our degus.
A good sharp sickle will cut a lot when its dry, leave it to dry, turn it and you can then bag it up, big paper feed bags I find best and then pet rabbits and G.pigs love it through winter. July is fine, but can be done much later. Or stages.

figbat

Slippery scientist
A good sharp sickle will cut a lot when its dry, leave it to dry, turn it and you can then bag it up, big paper feed bags I find best and then pet rabbits and G.pigs love it through winter. July is fine, but can be done much later. Or stages.
I was thinking strimmer but my dad does have a scythe so might have a go with that.

Gillstay

Über Member
I was thinking strimmer but my dad does have a scythe so might have a go with that.
Also if you want to be serious look out for yellow rattle seeds. The flowers are finishing now and so seed soon after. Just scatter where you want the grass to do poorly. Attractive flowers as well.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
It took me nearly 3 weeks to check every single clover.
Not one with 4 leaves.
You missed it:rolleyes:. Start over again :smile:

Top Bottom