What is your local charging for Christmas/New years eve?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pplpilot

Guru
Ive never been one for having a 'Local' I'm more of a pop in the pub for a cheeky half on the way to the take away or on the way back from the shop if Mrs Pplpilot has forgoten something. Ive never had a local as I've moved around quite a lot, but I understand there are those that have a big circle of pub friends. There is a pub ( changed hands recently which i imagine brings its own problem pub politics) I call into regularly in the village that has a big local circle, same faces night after night, you get the idea, a converstaion I overheard tonight was the locals moaning that it was £40 Yep £40 a ticket New years eve, does include a buffet though...
Locals saying that they support the pub all year round and are expected to part with £40 for New year.
If i were a 'local' i wouldnt be local much longer.

Last edited:

flyingfish

A bar near me is charging 35 pounds a ticket for a local band that they put on for free in November

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I'm due to be working till nearly midnight on new years eve, but hopefully I'll be away before that, & my local is just putting on karaoke with no charge, the no charge is attractive, the karaoke is less so :blush:

Berk on a Bike

Veteran
I haven't been out on new year's eve since our first boy was born (1999). Up to that point a typical experience was four hours with your arms pinned by your sides and taking ages to get served at the bar. It was, I suspect, not dissimilar to being kettled. I guess charging admission means customer retention instead of pub crawlers, but I'd want something back for my ticket price.

AndyRM

XOXO
I'm blessed with many locals which carry varying degrees of threat. I don't think any of them are charging, mostly because they'd be burned down if they had the temerity.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
We've lived in our village for 32 years and always celebrate NYE in the village. Plenty going on in a small community, over the years we've moved from childless hectic parties (usually led by my wife dancing on a table!!) to fun evenings to involve the kids to more sedate evenings as the very young grandchildren now come.

Last couple of years the age range has been 5 to 85+, good food, games for all ages (beetle drive, charades etc.) and great company.

32 years of celebrating NYE with close family and friends seems the best way to me. There's almost a "competition" to be host and people always want to come.

Ive never been one for having a 'Local' I'm more of a pop in the pub for a cheeky half on the way to the take away or on the way back from the shop if Mrs Pplpilot has forgoten something. Ive never had a local as I've moved around quite a lot, but I understand there are those that have a big circle of pub friends. There is a pub ( changed hands recently which i imagine brings its own problem pub politics) I call into regularly in the village that has a big local circle, same faces night after night, you get the idea, a converstaion I overheard tonight was the locals moaning that it was £40 Yep £40 a ticket New years eve, does include a buffet though...
Locals saying that they support the pub all year round and are expected to part with £40 for New year.
If i were a 'local' i wouldnt be local much longer.
This year they are charging only £10 for New Years Eve. When they reopened after a major refurb about 3 years ago, they charged £100...£100!!!! I ask you....

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
My local closes at 11.00pm and for regulars and staff only, it is a party for the rest of the night. The landlord does charge £10, but for that you get the first drink and he does lay on a great buffet.

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
I haven't done NYE since 2005, because after that we had (& still have) kids. Generally speaking though, I can only remember one that I actually enoyed and that was stoned in the street in Amsterdam.

Generally speaking though, I've never really understood, besides the obvious fact that people will pay, how anywhere can charge anyone for just walking through a door. You pay your money, walk in and then realise that wherever it is, it's on one side or another of the spectrum of sh!t. Places that charge to get in also seem to have the most expensive drinks and the worst beer as well.

Top Bottom