what ive noticed since restarting cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
so at the start of lockdown i started cycling again and i have gone further then ever before, i have done 640+ miles since start of lockdown.
I have noticed alot of cycle paths seem to be neglected with either poor surfaces or just littered with glass or other rubbish people have just dumbed there.
also out of the 8 places i've visited only 2 had bike stands to lock your bike to.
also the amount of cycle lanes/paths that just suddenly end is ridiculous.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
out of the 8 places i've visited only 2 had bike stands to lock your bike to.
I wouldn't want to leave a nice new ebike unattended for long, even locking it with a very good lock to a bike stand!

And yes - there can be an awful lot of litter about.

OP
OP
terry_gardener

terry_gardener

Veteran
I wouldn't want to leave a nice new ebike unattended for long, even locking it with a very good lock to a bike stand!

And yes - there can be an awful lot of litter about.

sometimes i like to explore some new places and you need to lock up the bike to do so and since the goverment wants people to use bikes more, then the infastructure needs to improve to allow it.

when i say litter i mean people fly tipping.

Reactions: mjr

snorri

Legendary Member
Yes, it is a problem everywhere but instead of letting it annoy me every time I pass, I stop and record the details then when home again I report it on my council website. It has usually been uplifted by the next time I pass that way...................................except for the fly tipped boat on a trailer with a missing tyre, that developed into quite a saga:biggrin:.
Well done on the cycling, lockdown seems to have had the effect of reducing my meagre mileage.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
when i say litter i mean people fly tipping
Yes, I see both - trails of small items at the roadside, and the odd layby/gateway/farm track (whatever) where somebody has obviously just pulled up in a van and chucked everything out of the back.

I think one thing that doesn't help is charging tradespeople to use council waste disposal centres. It is giving them an excuse/incentive to fly-tip. I would make it free to use the waste centres and impose huge fines on anybody then caught fly-tipping because they couldn't be bothered to drive to their nearest centre.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
so at the start of lockdown i started cycling again and i have gone further then ever before, i have done 640+ miles since start of lockdown.
I have noticed alot of cycle paths seem to be neglected with either poor surfaces or just littered with glass or other rubbish people have just dumbed there.
also out of the 8 places i've visited only 2 had bike stands to lock your bike to.
It varies massively by county. Some have really bad habits of building paths to nowhere, claiming they'll continue it once funding is available, then it never is... meanwhile other councils require cycle parking with all new developments. It's a bit stupid this is left to councils with no national minimum standards enforced. They don't treat cars like that. Maybe ask your MP why? ;)

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
sometimes i like to explore some new places and you need to lock up the bike to do so and since the goverment wants people to use bikes more, then the infastructure needs to improve to allow it.

The fly tipping will only get worse as the powers that be have made it law that anyone carrying waste must have a £270 waste carriers licence .
So removing a small amount of rubbish from a small job now cant be done even though the council have a flat £40 charge plus weight on it .
So we leave it with the customers and they hire someone . The council lose money and will probably have to clear up the fly tipping costing them money .

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite

You are from my part of England, well, almost, about 30 miles south, but, I won't hold that against you ;)

Agree with your observations.

Fly tipping is a real problem in. my area too, I report every instance I see. Local Council usually clear it promptly, if they don't, I post a photograph or two on the their Facebook page, that usually produces a result.

Poor quality cycle tracks and tracks which just end, I pester my local councillor about. To be honest, it has not produced any results yet, but, at least I fell I am making her earn her allowances by replying to me.

Bike stands, not so much of a problem, there is usually a convenient lamp-post of other piece of street furniture which you can lock your bike to.

;)

Oh right, yer that's really going to make a huge difference.

What I meant was "feck the infrastructure" so long as Brexit gets done.
I could be wrong but I don't see Boris and mates taking the harsh and unpopular (at least in the short term) decisions to an infrastructure in place. Everything is run close to the knuckle in the UK - from health , transport, policing, etc.

Johnsco

Old Fettler
Leeds has recently installed some useful cycle lanes round the city centre.
They take you to places where you actually want to go and you get priority with routes that go the "wrong" way in one-way streets when it is shorter or more convenient.
They also take you away from some of the "killer" stretches of road dominated by the boy-racers.
I am increasingly using them.
There is also a growing list of high-standard radial cycle routes into and out of the city.
Real progress ..... Not just a tick-box / jobs-worth exercise.

Top Bottom