What Kit?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
I would also carry this stuff in case of someone else having a problem, the routes I take are pretty quiet so if there's a cyclist in need imagine the look of disappointment if cycled past saying "sorry mate my pockets are empty".

They can help themselves to a patch or two but they're not having my spare tube though.:laugh:

HovR

Über Member
A week last Thursday I rode home through the storms and flood. I was absolutely soaked, as if I had swam home. Thunder, lightening, rain and hail stones the size of golf balls. At a couple of places the water level was well over my bottom bracket.

Slightly OT, but have you inspected your bottom bracket and wheel hub bearings since then? If the grease was washed out, or grit was washed in to the bearings, a fair amount of damage could have been done if you are continuing to ride the bike without having serviced it.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
I carry spare tube, bike tool, quicklink, speed lever, p*ncture repair kit, pump, tyre boot, cable ties and have a 2 spare spokes slipped inside my chainstay protector (1 drive side,1 non-drive). I have also been know to use 2 rocks - one as a hammer and the other as an anvil when my suspension seatpost decided to play silly b*ggers. (Lesson learnt; remove suspension post from bike, install suspension seatpost in bin, installl proper seatpost on bike)

wisdom

Guru
I carry
a spare tube
some scab self adhesive patches
set of tyre levers
mini pump
Alien multi tool this has a chain link extractor built in
CO2 inflator

These all fit in an under seat bag
but if i am on the commuter bike i pop the bag into the panniers that way i allways have everything with me.
Just one question though.
What are quick links as it seems a good idea to carry something other than the link extractor that would repair a broken chain?

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
30 miles? I'd take two levers, one tube, pump, multitool. An extra tube perhaps if I was riding lightweight tyres. Food and drink as required (or cash to buy stuff).

stephen.rooke

i carry, phone, couple of innertubes, topeak pump (best mini pump ive used) multi tool, bike spanner, pliers, tyre levers :d

Pauluk

HovR said:
Slightly OT
Didn't realise. Thought a previous post was talking about cheap mobiles in case expensive one got wet. I was just explaining how mine nearly got wrecked and would want to carry a small plastic bag in future.
Thanks for the advice about checking my bike, I hadn't thought about that.

HovR

Über Member
Didn't realise. Thought a previous post was talking about cheap mobiles in case expensive one got wet. I was just explaining how mine nearly got wrecked and would want to carry a small plastic bag in future.
Thanks for the advice about checking my bike, I hadn't thought about that.

I was actually saying my response was slightly off topic, not yours, although I suppose we were both pretty off topic in reality. :blush:

Pauluk

OT again :smile: okies HovR, misinterpreted your post, no harm done ;) . Thanks for the advice, I may pluck up the courage to remove the BB and pedals in the near future. Bit nervous about BB as I've never done it before and bikes only 5 months old.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
On very short rides or to a local pub say 5 mile round trip, I quite often leave everything at home so I dont need to take a ton of stuff in the pub and ill jog home with the bike if something did go wrong, M+ tyres make punctures fairly unlikely too.

On a 30 mile route, I take my big saddlebag which has...
Lezyne multitool: allen keys, screwdrivers, spoke tool, chain breaker etc
Lezyne alloy drive mini pump (frame mounted)
Spare Innertube
Puncture Repair Kit
Spare Chain Link
A Packet of AAA batteries
Latex Gloves - Incase I need to work on the bike and not look a dirty mess after.

All of which fits in the side pockets and the main compartment still has space for a 15 pack of beer :cheers: so plenty of space for spare clothes, waterproofs, food, shopping etc :smile:

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
Whatever you take, make sure you know how to us it! If you are not confident fixing a puncture it is best to try to get the technique for removing tyres and tubes at home, and getting a cheap spare tube that you can puncture and practice repairs on.

Might seem a waste when you are at home in the warm and dry, wont seem so when you are doing it by feel in the dark, at the roadside in the rain.

Sandra6

Veteran
That is a very good idea Paul.
A few years ago when I had a pram for the baby with proper tyres and inner tubes I got a puncture in one.
All I could remember about puncture repair from my childhood was that we used spoons to get the tyre off - but I couldn't for the life of me fathom out how! I ended up calling a man! :shy:

hoopdriver

Guru
I was going to say mobile phone! Most people on this forum seem to take things more seriously though.
Do you ever have cause to use all these tools and spares?
I cycle a mile to and from work daily and do a 10 -20 mile route twice a week on top of that, I don't even own half the kit people carry with them, but I've never needed any of it. Is it just a matter of time?!
I know exactly what you mean. I ride thousands of miles a year with no troubles and (knock on wood) very few flats, but all the same I carry a few tools and spares. Although mine generally go unused, except to help others I mert sometimes on the roadside, it is no trouble to carry them. They are light, don't cost much and if you do need them you are mighty glad to have them there. Eventually, yes, they will come in handy

Berties

Fast and careful!
Co2 pump ,scabs for other riders more than me,tube,tyre levers ,gloves,spare link,cycle tool,phone and money,always kept in my shirt rear pocket,food and drink is dependent on distance,other wise carry the same all the time,

Top Bottom