What Lock?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well, I renewed my and Mr SHK's insurance for our Bromptons a while back. The terms have changed so rather than needing a lock on a list provided, the insurance co now wants a SoldSecure Silver rated lock (or better, I presume).

I'm a bit annoyed as I now have two Bronze rated cable locks (previously allowed, hence bought!) [expect a 'for sale' soon...]

To be perfectly honest, I generally don't even carry a lock as the bike comes in with me where I go, but there are occasions when I can see a lock will be required. Of course, with Bromptons folding, I can't really mount a lock (think D lock) anywhere on the bike (although I am thinking of getting creative with velcro and affixing it to the back of the handlebar stem).

Anyone got suggestions? Because of the infrequency with which I lock the bike, I'm tempted to go for the lightest weight / smallest package option if possible.
Also, because the bike folds, often it's locked while folded so it's handy to have some flexibility in the type of 'locking'.

I have been thinking of the 'handcuff' style ones (http://www.bikeradar...eet-cuff-10508) or this looks cute (but expensive).

TIA :thumbsup:

joggingbob

I must admit it is a pain to carry locks due to their weight and size - not sure if you intend to fix it to your bike on carry in your pannier / rucksack. I have the Halfords Magnum D Locks as they were Sold Secure Gold - thankfully not yet tested! No weight given but this one is a relatively small D lock and plenty of Halford's stores to view before you buy. Also they are offering their buy a 2nd for half price promo, assumed from your post that you need two locks.

I use an Abus Bordo. They're certainly easy to transport being quite compact in size given the folding action. But there's very little weight saving - it still is pretty chunky. Worth a look though...

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
and watch out becuase the lock's certification can change over time, you buy gold and end up with bronze, just in time for a claim..... What is gold today may not be gold in three years time.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I still use a Kryptonie New York 3000 D-lock. It weighs over 2kg and a lot more than some other D-locks. Thinking after 3 years of use of getting a evolution mini for certain occasions.

Howard

I still use a Kryptonie New York 3000 D-lock. It weighs over 2kg and a lot more than some other D-locks. Thinking after 3 years of use of getting a evolution mini for certain occasions.

I have a New York which I've swapped for the Evo mini - you can carry it in your belt. Small size makes it less prone to leverage and cutting attacks. Will fit through rear wheel (sheldon style), through a sheffield stand then through a detached front wheel if required. I carry it wherever I go now.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I have a New York which I've swapped for the Evo mini - you can carry it in your belt. Small size makes it less prone to leverage and cutting attacks. Will fit through rear wheel (sheldon style), through a sheffield stand then through a detached front wheel if required. I carry it wherever I go now.

I know of someone who rides fixed who carries the mini in the backpocket of his jeans. One of the problems is that rather ironically we have a lot of non-standard fin and bronze type sheffield stands that the mini may not fit around as well. I'll still probably get one though. The weight is starting to bug me, especially for the very short trips where you only need to lock the bike up for 2-5 minutes.

MJN

I have a New York which I've swapped for the Evo mini - you can carry it in your belt.
Do you happen to know how heavy it is? Amazon's page says 200g but that seems too good to be true! :ohmy:

Why don't the manufacturers readily publish this info? It seems to be a major factor for many when choosing a lock.

Mathew

Howard

Do you happen to know how heavy it is? Amazon's page says 200g but that seems too good to be true! :ohmy:

Why don't the manufacturers readily publish this info? It seems to be a major factor for many when choosing a lock.

Mathew

200g. No. Kitchen scales have it at around 1kg. It's light enough to not notice it, compared to the NY which is a bit of a drag.

MJN

Okay, thanks. Couldn't believe it when I read it!

Still a good weight relatively speaking, as you say, and being small ought to make it somewhat more portable too.

Mathew

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
I'm in the same boat, I've been looking at the Kryptonite Kryptolok 2 as the cable is pretty handy for securing wheels etc. I currently have a series 1 of the same lock but it's now only a bronze rating
angry.gif

Howard

Okay, thanks. Couldn't believe it when I read it!

Still a good weight relatively speaking, as you say, and being small ought to make it somewhat more portable too.

Mathew

I'd be worried if it were any lighter :smile:

Alan Whicker

I'm in the same boat, I've been looking at the Kryptonite Kryptolok 2 as the cable is pretty handy for securing wheels etc. I currently have a series 1 of the same lock but it's now only a bronze rating

I've got that one, rated silver - so has Mrs Whicker, though hers has a gold rating sticker on it :wacko:

It's reasonably light, but difficult to find anywhere to fit on on my Trek.

OP
OP
SavageHoutkop

SavageHoutkop

Veteran
I've got that one, rated silver - so has Mrs Whicker, though hers has a gold rating sticker on it :wacko:

I'm losing the will to live with lock ratings!!! The Sold Secure website is driving me batty.
Anyone had a claim rejected because of the rating of the lock having changed between your buying the policy/lock and the stealing of the bike?

Top Bottom