What makes a bike cyclocross?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
I went off-road today (just tracks through forest) and really enjoyed it. I did it on this:

image.jpg

It's a Whyte Suffolk. Apparently it's a bit 'cyclocrossy' but I'm not sure what makes it that way (apart from maybe disc brakes?)

Anyway, I'm keen to do some more light off-roading but I don't want to wreck it! At the moment I have on it 28c Continental Gatorskins but also have a pair of 32c Marathon Pluses I could put back on. Would these be better, or would a pair of knobbly tyres be the way to go. I do still like going on the road so don't want super chunky, so probably one that bridges the gap would be best.

And would SPDs rather than SPD-SLs be better? Don't want to fall off!!

All advice appreciated.

Tojo

Über Member
Apparently it's a bit 'cyclocrossy' but I'm not sure what makes it that way (apart from maybe disc brakes?)

Usually, like you mention the most noticeable thing is the size of tyres you can use, a lot of road bike frames may have enough clearance to take a 28mm only and only just in some cases max 25mm....... nice bike by the way.......:thumbsup:

Last edited:

bpsmith

Veteran
The frame itself is the key thing to whether it's a CX or not. If the frame isn't built for off road, then it's not going to last long.

alicat

Legendary Member
It used to be cantilever brakes and, I think, a slightly higher bottom bracket.

Anything that helps a bike make progress on rough and muddy surfaces eg more tyre clearance.

buggi

Bird Saviour
I've got 32c marathons on mine and its fine for on road and off, although it originally came with knobblies I believe (I got it 2nd hand and the guy had put 23s on and it looked ridiculous). Main features of cross bikes is disc or vee brakes with wider forks (hence why the 23s looked ridiculous) and knobblies I think

outlash

also available in orange
Comparing my crosser to my road bike, the crosser is a bit beefier, noticeably so around the chain stays, it's got clearance for wider tyres and cantilever brakes as opposed to rim brakes. Other than that it's pretty much a road bike (and it does make a decent enough road bike too). Unless it's muddy, I would imagine the marathons would be fine but if you want to buy a new set of tyres, go for some semi slicks like these: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/schwalbe-sammy-slick-cyclocross-tyre/rp-prod48565

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Re OP:

Generally - longer wheelbase/higher BB/top tube designed to shoulder the bike to carry it/slightly sturdier frame/more tyre clearance/canti's or Mini-V's/chubby tyres/different cable routing often on top of the top tube which I think is a far more sensible place to put them than under the down tube regardless of bike type.

A number of those things make for a (imo) much nicer riding bike than a road bike.

Marathon Supremes are a nice tyre in 32mm for road riding. No grip for muddy trails/wet grass etc but work well enough on fire trails etc.

Racing CX bikes minimize mud-traps, so have no bottle mounts and often no chainstay bridge.
The "beefyness" of chainstays is quite varyable between models these days and I don't think it is a specific CX thing. In the olden days, CX frame tubesets were much like road tubesets, except for the aluminium ones.
Alan and Vitus made lugged, glued and screwed frames from narrow diameter, thick-walled aluminium tubes.

OP
OP
ChrisV

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
I've put the Marathon Pluses on and taken them down to 60 PSI. Why are SPD pedals better than SPD-SL for MTBs etc?

vickster

Legendary Member
I've put the Marathon Pluses on and taken them down to 60 PSI. Why are SPD pedals better than SPD-SL for MTBs etc?
They are not as slippery to walk on as the cleats are recessed. Also I assume MtBers put their feet down much more than road cyclists, and the SPD cleats don't wear as fast. The shoes are also harder wearing

OP
OP
ChrisV

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
Ah, I see.

Took the bike round some wooded areas last night and it turns out I'm not a cyclocrosser. After getting rattled about all over the place and my back light falling off (probably a bit naive leaving it on there) I took the roads and canals.

At which point the Marathon Pluses began to annoy me.

Just putting the Gatorskins back on. Brief flirtation over.

Top Bottom