What makes a great photograph?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi.

I'm an photographer and I have been asked to cover a Sportive ride soon.
I have photographed a lot of different things but never cyclists so far.

So my question is, What is the sort of photograph that you might consider buying? What makes you look good?
Is it a fast section where you are tucked in and going downhill or an uphill section where you are working very hard? Perhaps it is something entirely different.

If you have any views on this I would greatly appreciate it and hopefully I can get the riders the best photographs.

Thanks
Darren

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
The ability to photoshop about 4 stone worth of gut off of 90% of the riders is probably a valuable skill!

Enid Agnus Dei

I'd try the up hill and or corners mostly because the cyclists will be going slower giving you more time to pick out a better shot, corners might not be too bad but again if they are taken at speed you might miss a good shot but also might (sadly) catch a falling rider, hope you post some here and good luck!

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
What EAD said, but pick out a spot with a great view or some interest in the background, then remember to give enough DOF to have a large portion of it in focus whilst keeping the speed high enough to freeze the action and keep it sharp.

Alternatively if you can't find a decent backdrop, go for a short DOF with a long telephoto, or ultra wide and get up close to them, both make great photo's.

Examples:

Wide
JS21753855-2054804.jpg

Telephoto with short DOF:

2-Tour-de-France.jpg

Background with with interest on climb:

Alberto-Contador-Tour-de--007.jpg

Top Bottom