What man/woman jobs have you been doing lately

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I fitted a new plug on the end of the chain in the bathtub t'other day as the thin sealing 'o' ring on the original one had perished.

gbb

Legendary Member
Along with a qualified boiler engineer (family) , replaced a broken insulation panel in my CH boiler.

1/2 hours work, spares are long since obsolete, 25 year old boiler, found a Baxi part online that was bigger, cut down to size. Boiler physically still on good condition so will bear with it until something terminal crops up.

Last edited:

gbb

Legendary Member
Make sure you buy before 2025. Gas boilers in new builds are banned from that date so there maybe fewer built which could push prices up.

Also there is a new green homes fund available where you get up to 2/3 of the install cost covered as grant. It’s not means tested but instead is incentivising to get you to install green energy. Details here:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/apply-for-the-green-homes-grant-scheme
It's something I'm aware of and have in mind...near future regulations.
Talking to people, theres a feeling fitting air source pump systems in older houses is fraught with shortcomings, add the fact we like baths, the reheat time could be lengthy...I recognise the need to consider a replacement sooner rather than later.

newts

Veteran
After 18years in the house i've finally got around to smartening up the kitchen, not a full refit as we still intend to move the kitchen into an extension (eventually!). I made some mdf shaker doors & a cupboard adjacent to the boiler.
The executive committee are still excercising judgement on colour, expect a joblot of colour match pots to be for sale soon, shades will be either just to dark or light.
1608152044952.png

1608152106230.png

Hicky

Guru
Finished decorating the 1st and 2nd floors from the long standing loft conversion 10pm last night so all the carpets can go in today.
Needless to say there’s touching up to be done everywhere due to enthusiastic fitters:wacko:
Ms is happy so I haven’t vented much. I’ll do it when she’s unaware so it doesn’t spoil the moment. I forgot how much fluff is generated🤪

gbb

Legendary Member
Been noticing a drop off in hot water flow or pressure in the kitchen, it's getting quite slow now, time for some investigation last night.
50 year old 'open vented ?' system with a hot water tank. It's been on my mind what condition the tank is in, scale deposits etc.
Tap insert removed, nothing to see there.
Aerator removed, ditto.
No check or service valves valves to get clogged up.
Other taps checked, old style simple taps seem fine, bath and sink mixers...not bad but maybe should have a bit better flow, not sure.
Air lock ? Tried the old block the tap spout, turn on the cold and hot for 10 seconds, allowing the cold water to divert up the hot pipework, in doing so, it's supposed to purge any air out.
A little better but soon dropped off again after a few seconds.
Tried for longer , 30 seconds, seemed the same outcome. Enough, time for bed.
This morning...while it's not brilliant, it definately is better,

The system is 50 years old, the boilers 25 years old. This next spring / summer, I think it's time to give it all a spruce up and spend a little money on it.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Stair case sanded down and varnished again. Now on the lookout for hints and tips on floor sanding. Think that would make a huge difference to the wooden flooring through out. However skirtings next in the hit list for some TLC !

What type of floor is it? Pure wood or laminate or other?

It it was solid wood I was going to say sand it back and then varnish over the top but as it has veneer ontop you can get some special stuff called floorcare dressing which will achieve a similar finish but not damage the veneer.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Not sure it's a manly job but been sorting stuff to keep, throw or sell (maybe) ready for moving soon.

Top Bottom