What model of Raleigh is this one please?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rrarider

Veteran
I'm looking at a quite old (50s/60s ?) Raleigh model of my neighbour's. Can anyone tell me what model name it goes by, and approximatelywhen it may have been manufactured? It's been partially restored with non original parts, I think. The wheels are alloy, not steel and the tyres are certainly modern. I don't think that the chain wheel is original. The head badge is missing and the rear hub is a 4 speed 1959 SA dynohub, on which I can get 3 gears only. The lack of a ratio, will be best dealt with an a separate thread. The bike is in quite good condition, so my neighbour would be interested to know what it might fetch on e-bay.

raleigh2.jpg

The front light is just a battery model. Thanking any responders in advance.

midlife

Guru
Is it the angle of the photo or are the forks pushed back?

OP
OP
rrarider

rrarider

Veteran
Is it the angle of the photo or are the forks pushed back?
I don't think they are pushed back. Would that make it a different model type if they were? There is an integral lock on the nearside of the forks, which would push a locking pin up into a detent on the steerer tube. I would think the key for this went missing a few years ago.

midlife

Guru
By pushed back I meant in a front end collision. Raleigh often just called them the Roadster , locks on forks were usually the preserve of the Superbe but it has cable brakes . 50's to 60's given the style and box lining. 4 speed is unusual.

OP
OP
rrarider

rrarider

Veteran
I was veering towards believing it to be a Superbe but there is no decal labelled as such. The decals all look to be original and scraped in places, so not put on later in my opinion. The bike also has a Brooks B66 saddle which could be fitted, once it's been treated. It steers just fine, with no trace of notchiness, so having ridden bikes that have suffered front end collisions, I don't think this one has been badly bent.

The lack of herons on the chainwheel also point to it being a bit of a bitsa. I was very surprised to find that the tubes have Woods valves.

Last edited:
OP
OP
rrarider

rrarider

Veteran
After googling for "Raleigh Superbe", I've decided that it is a 1959 or early 60s model of that type. Some pictures I've seen just have the 'Raleigh' decal and no 'Superbe' one. They were usually green and had a fork lock. They were also made with stainless steel rims, so my magnet test for deciding that the rim was an after-market alloy one, was not valid. They usually had a fully enclosing chain case, so the lack of Raleigh herons on the chain wheel is not surprising. A change from rod brakes to side pulls is perfectly believable too.

I think the only after-market components on the bike are the whitewall tyres. I'll now turn my attention to getting all four gears on the SA hub. Finally the frame number at the top of the seat tube reads '44930AA'.

Top Bottom