What mtb is best

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Very well summed up Fisha

My Giant Terrago is at the top of the entry level MTB's @ £425.00 (New) and the only things that let the bike down are the stock tyres and the Suntour fork but these can be upgraded quite easily

If you think the MTB bug will kick in and you think you'l want to start upgraded parts on the bike then you need to buy the best frame you can afford

Simon

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
The Carrera Vulcan was voted Best Budget Bike in the 'What Mountain Bike' Magazine Awards 2007.

"This bike could genuinely run competitively with a lot of £500 bikes, making it an absolute bargain for half that price."

I got mine for £250, so you don't HAVE to spend a fortune to get a halfway decent bike, Mickle. Or are the What MTB reviewers mistaken ?

fisha

Guru
A few years ago, i thought /suspected that carrera's bike frames were influenced by or were hand-me-down early designs or budget versions of higher spec frames from the likes of Merida and Kona.

Looking at some of the detailings, designs and finish of the frames between the Carrera and the likes from Merida and Kona, they were uncanily similar. If that were the case, then if the fundamental geometry is similar to higher specced bikes, then the basic carreras are onto a good design.

I know that Halfords take a bit of a bashing, which normally comes from the sales teams and service/knowledge you get in stores, but i have to admit when I've strolled around the bikes, i've been quite impressed by them over the last few years. They've come out with bikes which on a good number of occasions i've though " thats actually quite a nice bike, and good value ".

Admittedly, i like fettling with bikes to keep them running, so dont mind upkeep to avoid having to take it to the store for adjustments and repairs. But if i was wanting a budget bike complete, then one of the first choices, for me, would actually be Halfords.

ratty2k

If you go on either Bikeradar or uk-mtb, you will find the Carrera bikes are pretty well thought of.
You can get a pretty good MTB for £200, but as with most things the more you pay the better it will be. If you can stretch a bit further (OP) on the budget, do so.

mary-jane

this one-http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/KONA-CINDER-CONE-STORED-FOR-LAST-5-YEARS-COLLECTORS_W0QQitemZ270206581776QQihZ017QQcategoryZ33503QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Ludwig

Hopeless romantic
There is a lot of badge snobbery and nonsense spoken about mountain bikes. For £200 - £300 you can get a superb machine for general use. And £500 a high tech suspension model with an ultra strong lightweight frame.

Ludwig said:
There is a lot of badge snobbery and nonsense spoken about mountain bikes. For £200 - £300 you can get a superb machine for general use. And £500 a high tech suspension model with an ultra strong lightweight frame.

Sorry you're wrong. £200 does not buy 'superb' whichever way you look at it. Please show me an example of a '£500/ high-tech'/ ultra-strong/ light/ suspension bike because I don't believe it's possible. I fear you may be talking out of your behind.

As Keith Bontranger once said regarding cycle components; 'Light/strong/cheap, choose two'.

And what pray tell is wrong with being a label queen? Go ahead and ride your Emelle/ Universal/ Raleigh/ Concept/ Sterling-House Sunday Suppliment Special all you like but don't try to convince anyone its a real mountain-bike.

barq

I basically agree with Mickle. Some brands are overpriced for what they offer (Santa Cruz spring to mind), but I don't think that is an argument for leaping the other way and going entirely 'non-brand'. I sympathise with the concern about snobbery, not least because some branded gear is manufactured by the same people who knock out the generic stuff. But we can't loose perspective here... £500 for a full suspension bike ain't gonna be pretty.

The Bontrager triangle (light, strong, cheap - pick two) is spot on.

RedBike

I suppose it all depends on what you mean by general use and superb. But IMO you need to be looking at about the £1000 mark for a hardtail and about £2000 for a duel suspension bike before you get to the superb level.

Although half of that will get you a good (but not superb) MTB

yello

My 90's (Avanti Barracuda) steel framed hard tail is still going strong in the guise of a tourer!

The Claude Butler Cape Wrath (in it's various specs) is a pretty decent buy with good reviews. You could do worse. Discount Cycles in SE London knock them out fairly cheaply too. They look a dodgy outfit to some (though I know nothing to suggest that they are!) so you might want to trundle around there first and/or pay at the gate!

Review of the Cape Wrath D27

Top Bottom