What podcasts are you listening to?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Need some new ones as purging a few that are getting stale. I still love:

The Bugle (Brilliant but mostly John Oliver)
Richard Herring's LS Theatre (Beats any TV interviewers)
Inquiring Minds (Pick and choose which I download but interesting stuff)
Freakonomics (Again, don't listen to all)

AndyRM

XOXO
MrsRM likes Serial, which you can get all the episodes of.

The permanent fixtures on my iPod (i.e. not including others which come & go, or grow on me enough to cement a place) are the following, which I would recommend to anyone who'd listen:

No Such Thing as a Fish - it's like the best bits of QI meets a witty pub conversation
Radiolab - needs more science at the moment, but still the best listen out there imho
UK Confidential - only comes out once per year but has a fascinating back catalogue to listen to, based on releases from the Government Archives under the FOI Act and 30 Year Rule
DR Karl on Triple J - we need and entomologist! Aussie weekly science phone-in. Legendary. The 5-Live version is good to fall asleep to as well, in the best possible way
Answer me This - Helen and Olly make me laugh, regularly, in public
Kermode and Mayo's Film Reviews - Hello to Jason Isaacs
Stuff You Should Know - Explaining the world, one in-joke at a time
Freakonomics - needs more Levitt at the moment, still a great listen
Serial - compulsory. Spoiler alert: he's been granted an appeal
More or Less - Tim Harford, the FT's Undercover Economist's weekly R4 / BBCWS programme
This American Life - an absolute behemoth of a podcast. Really, a must-try
TED Radio Hour - always informative, usually entertaining, very good on long Sunday solo rides

Can't go far wrong with any of the above, imho. I'm now wondering, of course, how much you can read into someone's personality by the content of their MP3 player :unsure:

OP
OP
M

Markymark

Cool. I've dip in and out with a few of those above inc. TIMC and trying to stay away from fiction but there's a couple of good ones to try out:

Radiolab and This American Life

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
No Agenda - Curry and Dvorak dissect the news (mostly US)..
Off The Ball - Tam Cowan & Stuart Cosgrove dissect Scottish Football ( with mucho humour)
Twit network - various, depends what interests me when I look..

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
TIMC
More or Less
Radio 4's Friday night comedy (which is either teh Now Show or the News Quiz)
Various science things - BBC's Frontiers, Na\ked Scientists etc
In Our Time - although pretty selective as to which episodes I listen to - mainly the science ones (you may see a theme here...)

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
A thread resurrection in case people are unaware - THE BUGLE IS BACK.

No John Oliver, but a rotating cast of guest hosts - Nish Kumar and Helen Zaltzman seem like the best fit for Andy so far, but they've all been pretty decent.

OP
OP
M

Markymark

A thread resurrection in case people are unaware - THE BUGLE IS BACK.

No John Oliver, but a rotating cast of guest hosts - Nish Kumar and Helen Zaltzman seem like the best fit for Andy so far, but they've all been pretty decent.
Will give it a whirl but 97.48% of the humour came from John Oliver!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I find podcasts a bit annoying! I am a quick reader so I can get through the material several times quicker if I have a text version to read. Some sites do offer transcriptions, but often we are forced to listen to spend 30 minutes listening to something that could be read in 5-10 minutes.

I suppose if I had to drive to and from work then they would make more sense. The only times that I would listen to a podcast would be when I am sat at my laptop, so I would rather read.

Having said that, I do sit and watch TV documentaries in the evenings ... I remember a colleague saying that he never watched 'Horizon' because about 5 minutes worth of interesting facts were dressed up with 55 minutes of visual fluff! :whistle:

Top Bottom