What pump?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
The basic rule of pumps is that big ones work better than small ones, so frame fit (HPX or Road Master Blaster) is better than clip to bottle cage is better than pocket.
Design helps, but struggles to jump a size category, so a Road Morph (which is fairly sizeable for a clip on pump) is about the same as a small frame fit like a size 1 HPX.

Reactions: mjr

Pale Rider

Legendary Member

Svendo

Guru
Due to my skinny climbers upper body I really need a pump with a hose and ideally a 'compact track pump' format to be able to get a decent pressure in a road tyre. Being able to put the bottom of the pump on the ground and lean on it is a great advantage. I have a Topek mini morph and a bike hut version both of which get in the vicinity of 100psi with 200 strokes, neither came with bottle cage side mounts so have been bodged to other mounts I have from old pumps.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The hose design is good on the road because you don't have to grip the dirty tyre to attach or pump, which you end up doing with clip-ons for fear of snapping the valve.
This ^^ - hoses should be mandatory. Never mind snapping the valve: bending the valve is worse, potentially leaving you unable to either pump it up or deflate it without stabbing the tube!

Sixmile

Veteran
Another vote for the lezyne pressure drive, I've the mini and it does the job.

Will have to check the brand of mini pump on my bike. LBS said it was good, I trust them. It has certainly helped a couple of fellow cyclists I stopped to help, got them pumped up and on their way in no time

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
When I bought my hybrid I bought a Topeak Pocket Rocket pump - it has both Schrader and Presta valves which you switch round - I've never used it though but have tested it and it seems ok - is this one good enough or should I really buy a better one, so as I'm not caught short. This is the one I currently have:

https://www.topeak.com/global/en/products/pumps/233-pocketrocket

Ye, that's a great pump and will do everything you need it to (and I recommended it on page one ;) )

si_c

Guru
Topeak pump is good, but I'd still swap it for the lezyne just for the flex hose. Cracking little pump. I've got one as a backup for the CO2 inflator. Gets up to 100 or so psi without too much difficulty.

U

User169

I've had problems with the Lezyne pump unthreading removable valve cores. Make sure you do them up tight.

Top Bottom