What road bike with 2k budget?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shanta

Regular
Ok guys. I have a budget if 2k but have been looking since May and still can't decide. Now is the best time to get the most bang for my buck as the 2015 models are in the sales. What would you buy? (Excluding Canyon, due to rediculous waiting times)
I do club rides and Sportives, don't need Di2, as would rather put the cash to some good wheels. I like aero bikes but don't think I would get any benefit as I avg about 16 mph. Not keen on discs and would really like something in black (picky I admit)

Citius

There's literally hundreds of bikes which fall within your criteria. What do you ride now?

If youre averaging 16 you might well be knocking out 20+ on the flats so aero wheels might be good...

Cannondale Synapse probably comes in under budget and you could upgrade the wheels with the leftovers...
Ok guys. I have a budget if 2k but have been looking since May and still can't decide. Now is the best time to get the most bang for my buck as the 2015 models are in the sales. What would you buy? (Excluding Canyon, due to rediculous waiting times)
I do club rides and Sportives, don't need Di2, as would rather put the cash to some good wheels. I like aero bikes but don't think I would get any benefit as I avg about 16 mph. Not keen on discs and would really like something in black (picky I admit)

OP
OP
S

shanta

Regular
@Citius , currently an ally Trek 1.5 soon to be my winter ride. I fully intend my avg to head north of 16 mph next also. Must admit I did have my heart set on on Ultimate 9 bought I have heard to much negative stuff about Canyon delivery/after sales that it's not worth the risk. I have however been more impressed about what I hear about Rose bikes and will be testing an Xlite in Jan hopefully.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
2932-9220-main-cinelli_2014-75.jpeg
If you can stretch your budget by £70, buy three of these....
http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b0s6p0

Crandoggler

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I really like the look of that :okay:

If I were mainly doing club runs and sportives, I wouldn't go for an aero bike per se, but more of an all-round bike.
My logic being that the rides are likely to be for several hours and so comfort will be important (aero bikes are usually fairly stiff), and speeds are not likely to be too high (with probably a lot of drafting involved, with perhaps some hills too) and so aerodynamics are probably not key.

If you said that you aimed to do a lot of chain gang rides, TTs with clip-on bars, or short & fast training rides, then my logic would point towards an aero bike.

Having said all that, logic may simply go out of the window if you see a bike you just like the look of...but if that means you will do lots of riding, then go for that one ^_^

P.S. Evans let you test ride bikes for a refundable £50 (no obligation to buy a bike).
Mostly this ^^^

sounds like you want a good but fast all rounder. You could just about go custom build for £2k.

Consider steel, roadcc just reviewed a lovely 853 steel uktegra Cambridge cycles bike 'The Light Blue Wolfson' for under 2k which sounds just up your street. Will take 25c Tyres and guards (just) lively, sharp handling, responsive and comfortable. It will also stand out from the crowd.

I had an 853 frame built last year and can vouch for the responsiveness and long distance comfort.

It will also last forever and hold value.

Last edited:

robgul

Legendary Member
Go for a Ti machine of some sort - lots of options for a "build to spec" on an off-the-shelf frame ... winter, summer whatever all taken in its stride with no rust or cracking* worries

Rob
* yeah, there have been weld failures but most Ti mfrs offer a lifetime (of the rider!) replacement warranty

Top Bottom