What sealant for this job ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
In our kitchen; beside the sink a small fingernail sized area of worktop surface got damaged. I read about ‘Colourfill’ - some wonderful resin (?) type sealant that was supposed to be the business and infill these sorts of minor repairs for life…..

So I scoured down into the worktop to give the Colourfill product something to key into. And so it was a few mm thick and not just a skin. Stuff is useless. And to be fair - in a high use / wet areas; anything might get ‘picked’ out, water get under it etc.

So today I’ve borrowed some brushed Stainless Steel from work. The idea being to put a ‘patch’ on the whole area next to the sink. Kinda like your Mum did on the knees of your cords, and the elbows of your jumpers as a kid 🤣

What limpet like product should I seal this down with ? Clear CT1 or ? 🤷‍♂️

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/28436042...C0nOHPhReS&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Attachments

• 8DAC3AA3-501E-4A62-A7B9-3EC9438E5717.jpeg
    8DAC3AA3-501E-4A62-A7B9-3EC9438E5717.jpeg
    233.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 1FD7F72D-C552-4ABC-9A1B-B3655E750B6A.jpeg
    1FD7F72D-C552-4ABC-9A1B-B3655E750B6A.jpeg
    180.5 KB · Views: 8

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
In our kitchen; beside the sink a small fingernail sized area of worktop surface got damaged. I read about ‘Colourfill’ - some wonderful resin (?) type sealant that was supposed to be the business and infill these sorts of minor repairs for life…..

So I scoured down into the worktop to give the Colourfill product something to key into. And so it was a few mm thick and not just a skin. Stuff is useless. And to be fair - in a high use / wet areas; anything might get ‘picked’ out, water get under it etc.

So today I’ve borrowed some brushed Stainless Steel from work. The idea being to put a ‘patch’ on the whole area next to the sink. Kinda like your Mum did on the knees of your cords, and the elbows of your jumpers as a kid 🤣

What limpet like product should I seal this down with ? Clear CT1 or ? 🤷‍♂️

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/28436042...C0nOHPhReS&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Any clear non-water based sealant should do it.

For maximum adhesion I use Everbuild Stixall Clear - Toolstation & Screwfix tend to be cheapest stockists.

Sticks just about anything to anything - permanently, even outside in extreme weather.

OP
OP
sevenfourate

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Any clear non-water based sealant should do it.

For maximum adhesion I use Everbuild Stixall Clear - Toolstation & Screwfix tend to be cheapest stockists.

Sticks just about anything to anything - permanently, even outside in extreme weather.

Awesome - thanks 😎 This stuff ?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/37452200...C0nOHPhReS&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

What do I clean the excess off with after application please ?

***Stainless is 1mm thick. So not really possible to apply a visual / sealing ‘bead’ afterwards. I’ll be applying it to one or both surfaces, weighting down to set - and tidily wiping off excess squeezed out - leaving a small amount upto the edge of the stainless at the ‘joint’.

Cheers again 🙏

SpokeyDokey

Awesome - thanks 😎 This stuff ?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/37452200...C0nOHPhReS&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

What do I clean the excess off with after application please ?

***Stainless is 1mm thick. So not really possible to apply a visual / sealing ‘bead’ afterwards. I’ll be applying it to one or both surfaces, weighting down to set - and tidily wiping off excess squeezed out - leaving a small amount upto the edge of the stainless at the ‘joint’.

Cheers again 🙏

Yes, that's it.

White spirit for any excess that needs removing.

Technical doc's link (scroll down to Technical Data Stixall Crystal Clear download):

https://www.everbuild.co.uk/products/adhesives/hybrid-sealants/stixall/

I'd use masking tape and white spirit if needed, once the tape was removed.

OP
OP
sevenfourate

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
I'd use masking tape and white spirit if needed, once the tape was removed.

Spot on - ta !

Yes that’s what I’d planned. I’ll mark out the area in tape. Both as a placement guide; and to control anything over-squeezing out.

Wiping / shaping the seal between the worktop and stainless sheet with a finger and / or some rag. And then simply peeling tape back finally to leave a clean job…..
Fingers crossed 🤞

Cheers again 🙏

SpokeyDokey

Spot on - ta !

Yes that’s what I’d planned. I’ll mark out the area in tape. Both as a placement guide; and to control anything over-squeezing out.

Wiping / shaping the seal between the worktop and stainless sheet with a finger and / or some rag. And then simply peeling tape back finally to leave a clean job…..
Fingers crossed 🤞

Cheers again 🙏

Don't forget white spirit - Stixall doesn't respond to a wet finger like silicone does. Just dampening a non-lint cloth with WS is best. This stuff is v.sticky!

CXRAndy

Guru
You could have used epoxy filler for the original damage, added some colouring or got a white version added some flecks of dark.

Stainless plate is a decent idea too

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Pity you’re not local round my way ( I’m assuming not ) there is a guy whom does all these sort of repairs ! Neat jobs . Stainless idea is a good one ! I remember buying stainless steel rods that I glued onto my worktop . Used them as pot stands ? Just an idea rather than a huge solid patch ? Main thing is it’s water tight being next to the sink !

OP
OP
sevenfourate

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Thanks all !

This Morning I:

Marked it out. Made a 5mm ‘border’ with masking tape, cleaned underside of ‘patch’ and worktop with white spirit, applied to underside of patch - inc a bead maybe 7-8mm in and all the way around the perimeter, slapped it on, weighted down, squirted a bit more all away around the outside, cleaned up edges with a rag and white spirit, pulled back tape. Revelled in my own genius 🤣

We’ll see soon enough 😳

Attachments

• D308E063-E2C9-412B-B796-4BCA3DC9AD91.jpeg
    D308E063-E2C9-412B-B796-4BCA3DC9AD91.jpeg
    265 KB · Views: 5
  • EACC5195-3424-4BF8-8E78-0DCD854D0015.jpeg
    EACC5195-3424-4BF8-8E78-0DCD854D0015.jpeg
    99.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 3C6AA16C-1774-44E8-89A0-4B6662E5AD7F.jpeg
    3C6AA16C-1774-44E8-89A0-4B6662E5AD7F.jpeg
    155 KB · Views: 6
Top Bottom