What shall I do next?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

montage

God Almighty
Had my MTB stolen a while ago...luckily the police recovered it, as the cash converters who the theives tried to sell it to had checked their history, seen they had sold 8 bikes in as many days and so called the plod in.

Cash converters agreed to hold the stolen bikes for the Police, as the police said they did not have the room to store these, and these bikes were agreed to be held until may - as this was the time of the trial for the theives and so the bikes needed to be retained as evidence.

You can guess what has happened next - cash converters went on and flogged the bikes and have claimed that it was due to miscommunication on their behalf, and cash converters do not keep track of who they sell to.

The WPC in charge of this affair blames cash converters fully for this, and said she will get back to me with what to do next....but I am dubious as obviously the main aim of the police is to get the theives in prison - but I want my bike back aswell!

So what shall I do?
Threaten the concerters with a civil court case only to watch them cough up a measley £40 for a £400 bike??

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I don't really see why the police aren't prosecuting cash convertors for handling stolen goods if they've sold the bikes on, as they already have all the evidence for the other case it should be an open and shut case.

buggi

Bird Saviour
i think i would definitely take legal action. just coz they got £40 for it, that's not your fault. you are owed £400. they sold something that was not legally theirs to sell and they knew this. it's not like they can say they bought it in good faith. get some legal advice on it.

OP
OP
montage

montage

God Almighty
buggi said:
i think i would definitely take legal action. just coz they got £40 for it, that's not your fault. you are owed £400. they sold something that was not legally theirs to sell and they knew this. it's not like they can say they bought it in good faith. get some legal advice on it.

I don't know the actual price they got for it, £40 was just to emphasize that they wouldn't have got much for it at all.

Cheers for the responses so far

Sorry to hear about this mate..

buggi said:
they sold something that was not legally theirs to sell and they knew this.

I think that the sale is down to Cashconvertors error, if holding the bikes for the Police, they shouldn't have been able to be viewed, they're responsible for the sale, and therefore depriving you of your bike.....

I'd certainly get legal advice, it's gotta be recoverable surely...:tongue:

Cubist

Still wavin'
Cash converters agreed to hold the stolen bikes for the Police, as the police said they did not have the room to store these, and these bikes were agreed to be held until may - as this was the time of the trial for the theives and so the bikes needed to be retained as evidence.

Montage, this is bollocks. There was no need for anyone to have held onto the bikes. As long as it was identifiable, ie you had a record of the serial number, the bike should have been photographed and handed back to you. There would have been sufficient evidence that the bike had been sold to Cash Converters as they had informed the police. A statement from the person receiving the bike in the sale, a statement from you identifying it as yours, and a statement from the officer handing it over to you to provide continuity was all that was needed.

From the point it was identified as stolen property it should have been returned to you. It's identity was never in doubt, so didn't need to be kept anywhere. Go to the police station and make a complaint against whoever handled this incompetent case. It is down to the incorrect procedure that you lost the bike (and the use of it since it was found at the shop). The police may have to recover their costs from CashConverters, but they need to reimburse you full value of your bike. If they start arguing, remind them of point 10 of the pledge.

PM me if things don't go your way, and I'll give you the necessary moral support and advice. Pillocks.

Noodley

Cubist said:
Pillocks.

Unbelievable! How on earth did the Police manage to bollocks that up?

As Cubist says the bike should have been returned. Where is the shaking head smiley when you need it? Or the smacking palm against forehead smiley?

Wigsie

Nincompoop
This is messed up Monty! get firm with the fuzz, they have obviously made a massive co*k up.... Cash Converters will just blame it on some spotty saturday part timer and you will get nothing... but good luck getting money off the rozzers, takes a few years!

montage said:
Had my MTB stolen a while ago...luckily the police recovered it, as the cash converters who the theives tried to sell it to had checked their history, seen they had sold 8 bikes in as many days and so called the plod in.

You can guess what has happened next - cash converters went on and flogged the bikes and have claimed that it was due to miscommunication on their behalf, and cash converters do not keep track of who they sell to.

The WPC in charge of this affair blames cash converters fully for this, and said she will get back to me with what to do next....but I am dubious as obviously the main aim of the police is to get the theives in prison - but I want my bike back aswell!

So what shall I do?
Threaten the concerters with a civil court case only to watch them cough up a measley £40 for a £400 bike??

police complaints commission,

cash converters knowingly sold stolen goods and effectively stole from you.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Black Sheep said:
police complaints commission,

cash converters knowingly sold stolen goods and effectively stole from you.

The IPCC won't be interested. This is a "quality of service issue" and should be resolved by the police.

Montage's beef is with the police, not CashConverters. That's for them to worry about.

OP
OP
montage

montage

God Almighty
"Headline: Mysterious cyclist burns Fareham police station to the ground"

Ok maybe I wouldn't do that.... I just don't want to find myself waging a war against the police as I have every respect for them. Also I don't want to find myself making an enemy out of the WPC involved, as I am very careful in life not to make enemies, and to be in the bad books of a police officer is not on my to do list! Guess it is necessary though ;)

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Bad luck Montage.

Doesn't matter if you're in her bad books or not though. They screwed up BADLY. I see where you're coming from but the old bill must be held accountable here. Any reprisals on the WPC's part towards you are very unlikely. Unless you have regular brushes with the law and live in a small town, of course.

Hope it gets sorted quickly and you get paid!
SD

Top Bottom