What Should I Do? Double Booked Quandary

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I have sort of promised to do the The Macclesfield Bikeathon 52 mile route with a client from work (slightly competitive) :whistle: however my wife informs me that she has booked the family to meet two other families at a local point to point in Tabley near Knutsford The Bikeathon kicks of at 8am I should average over 17mph on the road if I don't draft so I might be able to increase a little on the day with a bit of help. The first race at Knutsford is I think at 1:00 pm do I nail the ride :tongue: and nip home grab a shower and take the family to the races, could be very tight timing wise, or do I let my wife go on her own with the kids and risk a serious case of cold shoulder and "your are obsessed with cycling" :angry: or do i simply not risk the wrath of swmbo and knock the bikeathon on the head and go to the point to point? :blush: I am in a right quandary.

Thelma

Why don't you raise it with SWMBO? Tell her you're double booked and want to do both, and hope she lets you off the family one. Otherwise do the family one. Brownie points are better than wrath. Be gracious if you have to drop the Bikeathon though....

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Cant you get someone else to take the family to Knutsford do your bikeathon then meet them at knutsford?

Takes the pressure off if you get delayed or whatever.

darth vadar

Über Member
I have sort of promised to do the The Macclesfield Bikeathon 52 mile route with a client from work (slightly competitive) :whistle: however my wife informs me that she has booked the family to meet two other families at a local point to point in Tabley near Knutsford The Bikeathon kicks of at 8am I should average over 17mph on the road if I don't draft so I might be able to increase a little on the day with a bit of help. The first race at Knutsford is I think at 1:00 pm do I nail the ride :tongue: and nip home grab a shower and take the family to the races, could be very tight timing wise, or do I let my wife go on her own with the kids and risk a serious case of cold shoulder and "your are obsessed with cycling" :angry: or do i simply not risk the wrath of swmbo and knock the bikeathon on the head and go to the point to point? :blush: I am in a right quandary.

Are you a man or a mouse ?

;)

Ajay

Veteran
So, if you can average over 17mph solo for 52miles you're obviously pretty good at cycling, so the event in itself wouldnt be a great challenge.
Lets start with the end in mind, and look for a win / win situation.... How about:
Pay your entry fee / donation to the Bikeathon, but dont participate (bit for charity done - win)
Tell the family you really fancied doing the ride, but quality time with them is more important (brownie points - win)
Tell your client you really fancied doing the ride, but long standing family commitment couldnt be changed (solid family man - win)
Offer to ride the route with your client another weekend, buy him lunch at one of the pubs en route, and then leave him for dead with 5 miles to go (showing you to be accommodating, generous, and not to be messed with - win,win,win)
(If he spends a lot with you, you could always let him win)
:thumbsup:

OP
OP
Hacienda71

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Spoken to swmbo. Not a no to doing both things, subject to when we are meeting the other families. I may have to meet her in Knutsford with the kids. The bikeathon starts outside my office and there is a shower so could get changed and showered there then straight on to the point to point. It is going to be close thing, but the last two thirds of the bikeathon are pretty flat so I should be able to do it.
I now await the time to meet at the point to point, that is going to be what swings it one way or the other. :tongue:

Top Bottom