What should I get? Hybrid or gravel - £500-£800ish

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Llama

Veteran
Hello all,
Just returning to cycling after a long hiatus. The cycling world seems to have changed a lot in the intervening time!
I am looking for a bike to travel the roads and bridle paths at weekends to improve my fitness.

I have been looking at hybrid bikes and gravel bikes and am looking at spending £500-£800ish.

Some initial research has thrown up the following:
Cannondale Topstone 4 £799
Cannondale Topstone 3 £899
White Stirling 2023 £799

I also have LBS stocking Orbea (I asked there about gravel bikes but their entry level was £1200!)
They have a Carpe 40 but spec doesn't look that good in comparison with he above?

And another LBS stocking Kona and Genesis although I haven't been for a visit yet.

My budget seems to be middle of the road of hybrid but only at entry level for gravel bikes, it would appear however that upgrades to gravel bikes will be easier and the Cannondale has a carbon fork which should be more comfortable? I'm not sure whether to get a decent hybrid now and then save up for a better gravel bike or just spend the money now and then upgrade as I go?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks!

Kingfisher101

Über Member
It depends if you want flat bars or drops. Personally I wouldnt get an entry level Cannondale, they are noted for being poor quality. I've had one and it was terrible, never again.

OP
OP
Llama

Llama

Veteran
It depends if you want flat bars or drops. Personally I wouldnt get an entry level Cannondale, they are noted for being poor quality. I've had one and it was terrible, never again.

Thanks for your reply I was hoping to make the jump to drop bar. I'm struggling to find anything decent at the price point though. Thanks for feedback on Cannondale.

Got myself a lovely gravel off flea bay for £500.
Had good ride in snow today and towpaths yesterday

Attachments

• DF2A349B-3888-47DB-A26F-C4DF8E9E4B79.jpeg
    DF2A349B-3888-47DB-A26F-C4DF8E9E4B79.jpeg
    297 KB · Views: 12

Jameshow

Veteran
I agree with @Kingfisher101 on the Topstones, heavy and far from their finest moment.
Second hand prices are good, why not nab a gravel bike in that price bracket?

My mate had a base topstone but took it back as the Microshift gears were very clunky. I had them on my winter bike and soon switched to tiagra.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The good thing is @Llama is that bike shop are having a tough time shifting stock as the recession hits.
If you have time to pick through the offers you should be able to get a bargain.
You could also consider second hand as prices for used bikes are also falling. Try to get something that's not had too much use if you're not confident checking them over.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
The good thing is @Llama is that bike shop are having a tough time shifting stock as the recession hits.
If you have time to pick through the offers you should be able to get a bargain.
You could also consider second hand as prices for used bikes are also falling. Try to get something that's not had too much use if you're not confident checking them over.

Sadly I think said "bargains" available are still only going to be so in a relative sense. Was shocked whilst watching a Youtube video recently; where a new road bike touted as a grand (some Scott thing - actually £900) had an ally frame and 7sp Shimano Tourney components (basically the absolute lowest of the low). Granted it's probably not a hugely fair comparison, however it's the sort of spec I'd have expected to have found on a £300 Decathlon effort a few years ago. Likewise my Boardman (placcy frame, bits of Tiagra groupset) was a grand when new six years ago.

Certain elements of the used market are taking a shoeing on prices; some not. Entry-level road bikes are taking a hammering and I suspect hybrids are too although I'm not familiar enough with the market to check. Gravel seems to be holding up better; with CdFs apparently going for similar amounts used as they always have; while I've seen some early ones up for ridiculous money.

If the OP sits on their hands and keeps an eye on the used market, I think a decent CdF 20 for maybe £500 would seem possible. Certainly a hell of a lot of bike for the money considering the budget cack that would buy you new.

Last edited:
Top Bottom