What should I get? Hybrid or gravel - £500-£800ish

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Heavy though ..
True, but won't bother the OP much unless he does a lot of climbing.
Any budget bike will be the same.

Lee_M

Guru
The good thing is @Llama is that bike shop are having a tough time shifting stock as the recession hits.
If you have time to pick through the offers you should be able to get a bargain.
You could also consider second hand as prices for used bikes are also falling. Try to get something that's not had too much use if you're not confident checking them over.

Please tell my lbs that, they're prices are only heading in one direction, and it's not down

Cycleops

Legendary Member
According to I think it was Cycling Weekly demand for premium products is still strong and Giant have even managed to increase their profits.

Sixmile

Veteran
Although not a Stirling, I bought a Whyte Portobello last year and absolutely love it. It's my go to bike for almost everything from commuting, leisure, overnighters, airplane tours, century rides and nipping to the shop for milk. I also think it's the best looking bike in their hybrid range. The only change I have made is to put a Sonder Confucius loop bar on for extra hand positions and luggage space for those longer rides. I got the whyte 45mm guards too which really turn this into an all year round machine.

https://alpkit.com/products/sonder-confucius

Slightly cheaper but just as good is PlanetX's Geoff bar - which I have on my fat bike.

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/HBOOGBV2/on-one-geoff-handlebar

OP
OP
Llama

Llama

Veteran
Thank you all for your replies, I've been thinking all week and have come to the conclusion that I will go for a flat bar hybrid at the moment, it's likely the cycle to work scheme will be available at work, with this I'm thinking I can then get a gravel bike if desired at a higher price point given the collective thoughts on the Cannondale priced bikes.

My current shortlist is:

Merida Speeder 100 £780 - LBS stock these and seemed very helpful. Has carbon fork, hydraulic brakes and 3x8 Shimano. This is the front runner! (Their speeder 20D for £580 also looks pretty good, no carbon fork)

Marin Fairfax 2 £685 - Alu fork, hydraulic brakes (tektro), 3x8 Shimano these look good but the nearest stockist is 40 miles away.

White Stirling £799 - carbon fork, 1x11 , microshift shifters, hydraulic brakes.
(there's a lack of other Whyte bikes available at Evans at present)

Kingfisher101

Über Member
I wouldnt get any of them I'd get one of the Pinnacle Lithiums from Evans or the Carrera Subway from Halfords. I wouldnt be spending all that on hybrid like £800 if I were you.
You might not even stick with it or might end up with the gravel bike. Or The Voodoo Marasa which is now £400 at Halfords.

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The Merida Speeder 100 looks good and will feel quick on the road with its 32c tyres, something the Subway and fatter shod bikes won’t. Always good to buy locally in case you need some help.

Sixmile

Veteran
I have a voodoo bike (which I really like) and a Whyte, and there's no comparison. The Whyte is worth every penny of the £800. In today's world, it's not mega money for a bike, especially on c2w

Boopop

Guru
My verdict would be a hybrid if you just want a ultilitarian bicycle, and a gravel bike if you think there's a chance you'll go for leisure rides. I used to have a hybrid, I got rid of it. I now have several road bikes, a cargo bike, and a mountain bike. Despite having a garage the hybrid didn't cut the mustard for staying, I gave it away!

It'd be interesting to see what the stats for hybrids are like in Denmark or the Netherlands. I get the impression people over there buy town bikes where we'd buy hybrids.

Top Bottom