what size bearings in headstock?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GT60

Hi on my Carlton what size bearings should be in the top and bottom race of the headstock?
I have two different size bearings a big and a small
Thanks

midlife

Guru
Hi. Is it the standard headset that came with the bike? Any markings on it.? Probably 3/16 th inch, some had smaller balls like the Campag pista at 5/32nd.

Shaun

OP
OP
G

GT60

Hi yes its the standard headset
we have been given two different size of bearings but no idea of the size's such as 3/16" and 5/ 32" except one is smaller than the other ?
Thanks

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
A trick I used yesterday when some balls didn't seem to match any of the holes in a measuring tool was using calipers to compare the ball sizes to imperial hex keys!

midlife

Guru
Hi

What year is the Carlton and which model? on reflection my guess would be 5/32" which would be the slightly smaller ones. I guess you don't have the originals to compare.

Take the smaller ones and fill the screw race for the forks (holding with grease) full of balls, take one out and seat it on the top of the frame (race in head tube) just by hand. It should fit nicely with none of the parts of the headset touching.....

Shaun

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

GT60

Hi

What year is the Carlton and which model? on reflection my guess would be 5/32" which would be the slightly smaller ones. I guess you don't have the originals to compare.

Take the smaller ones and fill the screw race for the forks (holding with grease) full of balls, take one out and seat it on the top of the frame (race in head tube) just by hand. It should fit nicely with none of the parts of the headset touching.....

Shaun
Kool
Thank you Shaun
I will try that as I never even thought of doing that
Thank you very much to everyone for all your advice

Top Bottom