What size frame?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

flying start

Veteran
Hi all wanting to buy a retro/vintage frame to build into a ss for the commute to and from work

I'm 5,7" ( approx) but don't know what size frame to look out for as this to me is going to be a keeper so need to get it right any help or tips is much appreciated

Been googling and came across this site (Hilary stone.com) anyone used it to buy a frame off of?

Looking to spend about £150 on frame and if posable would prefer to have a lot of parts with it I like that really old style look with some deep rims and front brake only.

I've just got back from a med cruise and while is Italy and Spain I seen loads of these bikes that's what's got me wanting to build one like I've aside not sure on size of frame in cm or inches? And any help will be much appreciated

fossala

Guru
2686986 said:
First guess 54 cm. Any more precise and someone is going to have to measure you in more detail.
That's what I was going to say but don't like guessing frame sizes. I take 57/58cm classic style bikes but 54/56cm modern bikes. I'm 5ft 10.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
I am same height, short leg. 2 bikes and one is a 54 and the other is a 52 :>).

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Frame size is very much a personal thing. I like a frame which is rather bigger than recommended for my inseam. You need to try and see what is comfortable for you.

OP
OP
flying start

flying start

Veteran
It has semi-horizontal drop outs so yes SS or fixed are possible. For that I would ask the seller to measure the rear hub/drop out width.[/quote]

What do you mean ?

OP
OP
flying start

flying start

Veteran
Sorry just seen your post

OP
OP
flying start

flying start

Veteran
Ok so think the bike is to big for me so going to hold back just a little
I also went to my lbs to see what they said they said why not build your own

Two frames they pointed out to me where the (giant omnium)
And the (planet x stealth pro carbon time trial)

Both frame sets are about £500 what's your thoughts on these two frames

They also showed me the bianchi pista which the had in the shop but send very heavy for what it was and the said there was a light version super pista but would need to be orderd from the US any info, pointers/help on these bikes/frames would be a massive help thanks

Old Plodder

Living at the top of a steep 2 mile climb
Basically you are looking for a 21" or 52cm frame. Go slightly undersize, rather than over, (i.e. 20" or 51cm).
If you are going to buy new, look at what everyone else on here is riding.
Pricewise, £500 for a frameset is not what you want, more like £300~400.
However, as you only want it for commuting, take a look at bikes that the regulars on here are riding.

(Personally I have a Felt S/S.)

2689249 said:
OK, just had an opportunity to look at the photos. It is 531 so steel. That means the drop outs won't be massively thick which is good for this purpose. You are still looking at adding 5mm of spacer each side to a standard 120mm track hub which might leave you short of thread for the nuts. There are other hub options though if you are starting from scratch.

First and foremost though get those frame dimensions and compare them to an existing bike on which you are comfortable.

I ran fixed with spacers on an old 531 frame until I was schtossled and brungled in a SMIDSY-type incident.

When the frame people were cold-pressing it straight again, I asked them to reduce the drop-out width to 120mm, which they did at no extra cost.

It was OK before, but everything is nicer at 120mm. I don't recommend crashing to solve the problem, but it is worth thinking about cold-pressing to 120mm if you don't think you'll ever ride with a big, fat cassette again on that frame.

Top Bottom