1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What size mudguard?

Discussion in 'Components, Accessories and Clothing' started by HelenD123, 8 Jun 2008.

1. HelenD123

HelenD123 Veteran

I've decided I need some mudguards (no debate please ;)) but am confused about what size I need. My tyres are 700x38. I've found these on the CRC site but am confused.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=25793

My tyres are smooth down the middle but slightly nobbly on the sides. Does this mean I need the Hybrid 700c rather than the Wide 700c?

Thanks!

2. Cunobelin

Cunobelin Legendary Member

Firstly these are excellent guards - no debate there!

You have correctly identified the width of the tyre as being important, but there is also another consideration - the width of the frame.

THe "clearance" is the distance between the frame and the tyre to allow the mudgard through. It is quite possible to get a wide guard ideal for the tyre, but that will not fit the frame.

Providing you do not have an outlandish bike, I would simply email CRC stating the bike model and the tyre model / size - then ask for their advice.

3. HelenD123

HelenD123 Veteran

Thanks. I didn't think about contacting CRC. I'll check the clearance and get in touch with them. I've got a Giant hybrid which is 8 or 9 years old so hopefully there won't be a problem.

4. bonj2

bonj2 Guest

oh, damn. put it in the title next time, save me getting my hopes up;)

5. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

6. HelenD123

HelenD123 Veteran

Thanks Mister Paul. Looks like I need the 50mm.

7. Tynan

Tynan Veteran

full mudguards are a bit ugly but they're very lovely when it's wet, and very amusing watching others working on their wet/muddy stripe up their back and arse