What Size Should I go for?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bkulacs0410

Hey guys, I am 6ft or 183cm tall with 34" inside leg and the last time I purchased a Boardman MTX 8.6 Mens Hybrid Bike 2021 in Large (21" or 54cm) as according to their size chart it suits 181 - 189.

It turned out to be extremely Large as my feet barely touched the ground, then I decided next time I will definitely go for a Medium (19" or 49cm) frame from Boardman Hybrid bikes.

Today I rode my sister's "Carrera Parva Womens Hybrid Bike Limited Edition 2020" which is frame size "small (16" or 40cm) and I put the saddle up nicely. It was very comfortable that way

So my next bike will be the "Boardman HYB 8.8 Mens Hybrid Bike 2021" and they come in the following sizes Small (16" or 40cm) Medium (17" or 43cm) Large (18" or 45cm)

What size should I really get from the above HYB 8.8?

Thanks for your help in advance

Regards
Balint

vickster

Legendary Member
You need to sit on one ideally, it seems odd that you couldn’t touch the ground on your previous bike as the seatpost offers plenty of adjustment usually? Usually it’s reach or even stand over height that’s an issue if a bike is too big.

I have an older Boardman rigid fork hybrid and at just under 5’10, 34” inside leg I’m comfortable on medium. I’d suggest that would be the size for you too if you personally prefer a smaller frame. If you’re between sizes, it is usually better to go smaller

OP
OP
B

bkulacs0410

Hey "vickster",

Thanks for your quick reply, yes I think you are right. I am considering to go for Medium (17" or 43cm) from the "Boardman HYB 8.8 Mens Hybrid Bike 2021"

I will see if I have a chance to go in one of the Halfrauds next week and take a look myself or perhaps will wait until the 18th when they will have it back in stock

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Ideally try them. If you’re saying you couldn’t touch the ground when seated you shouldn’t be able to, only with the tips of your toes.
When seated with the pedal at six o’clock your leg should be more or less straight.
Either M or L should work, some prefer a smaller some larger so it’s your preference.

vickster

Legendary Member
Hey "vickster",

Thanks for your quick reply, yes I think you are right. I am considering to go for Medium (17" or 43cm) from the "Boardman HYB 8.8 Mens Hybrid Bike 2021"

I will see if I have a chance to go in one of the Halfrauds next week and take a look myself or perhaps will wait until the 18th when they will have it back in stock
Did you see my suggestion to join British Cycling for Halfords discount (albeit won’t work if using Cycle 2 Work for purchase)
https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/membership/article/halfords-discounts

vickster

Legendary Member
I wear a helmet anyhow so it doesn’t bother me. I am a member for the cover, I don’t really care about the politics.
Personally, I don’t like the fact that CUK use a solicitors firm which advertises its wares on daytime TV, smacks of distasteful ambulance chasing to me.

The OP can make up his own mind either or neither way. I was just putting it out there to get useful cover and save done:okay: And you’ve offered an alternative, all good

OP
OP
B

bkulacs0410

Ideally try them. If you’re saying you couldn’t touch the ground when seated you shouldn’t be able to, only with the tips of your toes.
When seated with the pedal at six o’clock your leg should be more or less straight.
Either M or L should work, some prefer a smaller some larger so it’s your preference.
Sure thing, I will go with Medium then

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Lovacott said:
For me, the right size is where I can tip the bike slightly towards me and get my leg over the crossbar without rupturing anything.

I am just fractionally smaller than the OP in both overall height and leg length, and I have no problem with 23 1/2" old school road frames with horizontal top tubes.
The only ones I have had to be careful with were an early 23 1/2" Raleigh Pioneer hybrid frame, with a high, MTB-inspired BB height, and this lugged 23" Raleigh MTB, if ridden on rough surfaces. The welded 23's have a slightly lower standover height and are fine.

The early Pioneer frame cracked and has now been retired, the MTB isn't used as an MTB, since I've got others with more standover clearance better suited for that.
There seems to be a fashion these days for people to ride undersized bikes, which I find rather bizarre. Youngsters in my day often rode oversized frames on the basis they had "growing room" and so would last the rider until they stopped growing, but now I see the exact opposite - adults riding what I would consider to be kids sized bikes.

Top Bottom