What size spokes do I need?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I will be straight to the point here. I have two 29er bikes, on one of them I have a broken spoke on the rear wheel. I have identified it is a J-bend spoke and whilst on the wheel measures 290mm up to the rim. Using the guy from park tools on youtube he recommended adding 12mm. So I bought 302mm spokes from wiggle

"DT Swiss Aero Speed Black Wheel Spokes - 18 Pack"

These have came bladed (so not uniform with the rest) and seem to long, so will be sending back. Reading more around it, I believe I need something in the region of 291mm-294mm. I'm not sure on this one, and because the bike is being used every day for rides I haven't taken the spoke out to measure. Ideally, I'd like to identify the size without taking the spoke out and just do the repair in one go. I have only done maintenance on bikes so far, so not fast working on bikes. I have got all the tools that are needed as recommended by mbr to do the repair. I think I am fine on that front park tool FR-5.2G cassette lockring tool, chainwhip, spoke key

The bike with the broken spoke is a trek xcalibre 7 2016
https://www.evanscycles.com/trek-x-caliber-7-2016-mountain-bike-EV242017

My other bike is a voodoo bizango and also measures 290mm up to the rim. Which would make sense as both bikes are 29er's. Can anyone recommend where to buy from if they know what length replacement spokes I need. It would be great if both spokes could fit these bikes, in case of anymore breaks.

Thanks in advance. I pledge to give back to this community once I am sorted etc

Top Bottom