What size tube do I need?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steve.l

Help. I'm confused.com My wheels are 622-18. The tyre is 622-32.
I was told by guy in Halfords I needed 700-32 inner tube. When I put it on it's a bit too big for wheel and I have to scrunch it up to get on. Surely this isn't right. Thoughts, advice

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I've sometimes had tubes which seem too long but, with a little air in when fitting the tyre over it, they go in more compressed than crumpled and they function perfectly well.

622 is the ETRTO dimension for 700c, so you appear to have the correct tube. The size can alter slightly when they inflate for the first time.

As said 622 is the rim diameter the same rim takes a tyre that has an external diameter of circa 700mm so that the right size; over the piece I've had 700 tubes that are tight to the rim and ones which are loose too they both seem to work fine but I've pinched the tight ones a few times as my ringing ears yesterday would testify :blush:

Chris S

Legendary Member
When I put it on it's a bit too big for wheel and I have to scrunch it up to get on.

I've got a 559 tube in a 559 tyre that I also had to scrunch into it. That was 6 months ago and I haven't had any problems since. The tyre seats OK and looks perfectly round. Maybe the tyre expands sideways like a previous poster said.

Top Bottom