What size tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

proletaratOne

I have a bike that has 18 mm internal rim width and 25 mm outside

What size tires fit in there best to give a nice aero mate with the outside of the rim

I want to run tubeless

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The current trend is for wider tyres run at lower pressure for a more aero profile. This would seem to be at odds with thinking that says narrower tyres run at high pressure are better. 28c tyres are the popular choice.
I'm not really qualified to give to the pros and cons but I'm sure someone will be along to give you the run down. In the meantime have a read of this: https://www.cyclingnews.com/features/why-wider-is-better-the-death-of-23c-tyres/
28c should be fine on those rims. The other thing to consider is does your frame have the clearance? Are the rims tubeless ready?

Last edited:
Hello!
Are the rims ready for tubeless? Can't just choose it, the rims have to be correct.
Aero: why? Not a rude question. Are you racing? If not, 28s will be fine and comfortable, or 25s if you must. 23s if you have no loose fillings...
My 'fast' bike (meaning that it's actually a real road bike, I'm not capable of riding it fast) is limited to 25s. The other bike, a steel mixte (just as fast, or slow, with me on it!) has the same wheels, but can take 28s.
28s all the way for me, but I'm no speed merchant. :bicycle::bicycle::bicycle:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
For aero you want as close to an aero foil shape as possible. So the rim should be the widest part, that means 25mm or 23mm for the tyre.
Yep got 25mm on my Roval Classique Pave wheels (25mm outside rim width) for that very reason

OP
OP
P

proletaratOne

Hello!
Are the rims ready for tubeless? Can't just choose it, the rims have to be correct.
Aero: why? Not a rude question. Are you racing? If not, 28s will be fine and comfortable, or 25s if you must. 23s if you have no loose fillings...
My 'fast' bike (meaning that it's actually a real road bike, I'm not capable of riding it fast) is limited to 25s. The other bike, a steel mixte (just as fast, or slow, with me on it!) has the same wheels, but can take 28s.
28s all the way for me, but I'm no speed merchant. :bicycle::bicycle::bicycle:
Yes I will be racing....that’s the plan... so trying to build a faster bike

OP
OP
P

proletaratOne

Thanks fellas for the answers and advice. I’ll be going with 25s

Top Bottom