what size?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

snakey_75

i'm new to this forum so first let me say hi to everyone!:biggrin:

i'm after a bit of info. i'm repairing a friend's bike (an apollo x-rated). what i want to do is put a sealed hub into the crank, but i can't due to the one sealed side. does anyone know what size axle do i need to put through as i've tred a 118mm (this was the size of the old one!) and after 3 months it has chewed up the bearing cages, (yes i did grease it up before i put it in). does anyone know/can anyone redirect me? i've tried googling bike parts/spec, but no help, any offers? cheers.

OP
OP
snakey_75

snakey_75

thanks.......!!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You mean you need a new bottom bracket.

If it's a MTB you will need a shell width of 73mm, road bikes are 68mm.

Don't try and bodge it with parts - just get a new cartridge BB - I assume it's square taper - i.e. the cranks bolt onto a squared axel...

Just measure the old axel width, and try and get one as close as possible to that width.

So, 73mm shell, and an axel width of approx 118mm (or what ever is the correct one).

You'll also need a splined tool to fit it - look at £15 for the bottom bracket and £5 for the tool.

Will1985

Über Member
First off, welcome to the forum!

When you say hub, you mean bottom bracket? If the original one was 118mm (which sounds about correct as I see this bike has a triple chainset), so any replacement needs the same width axle.

This "one sealed side" confuses me - do you mean that one side of the BB shell has something in it to just allow the axle through? Does this look welded onto the frame, or screwed in?

Can't think of a problem straightaway, especially if you greased it up.....a bit of dirt hiding in the shell perhaps?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You'll need tools to remove the old BB - these will cost a few bob ! Might work out cheaper to go to a bike shop if it's not something you are going to do often..

Top Bottom