What smart watch

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

markstev27

What watch does anyone recommend for cycling.

I've got a Samsung phone and ideally don't want to spend over £150

Thanks

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
What do you want it to do? Do you want HR monitoring? Link with apps such as Strava? Maps? etc...

lazybloke

Considering a new username

Thanks
The only reasons I can think of are
a) to tell the time
Easy and cheap!

b) to read messages assuming the watch integrates with your phone.
Probably means an expensive watch that will integrate with a phone. I'm no slave to my phone so I ignore any calls/messages when riding. If it's urgent they'll call again or leave a VM.I'll probably then stop and listen (but might not respond).

c) activity tracker
This is far more complicated. Dave gives a few points to consider but I'd also consider battery life, GPS capability, visibility at night, degree of waterproofing, etc, if those things are important to you. Also look at reliability and the ability to replace parts. Eg my better half wanted a certain expensive Garmin GPS watch a few years back. but the straps were part of a continuous case moulding. It means the watch is entirely useless once the strap wears/cracks/breaks. It's a very good design for a manufacturer that wants built-in obsolescence; not so good for the consumer (or the planet).
Some "GPS watches" are nothing of the sort but actually use the service provided by your phone. That's probably fine, but may impact your phone battery life. Also consider potential cost implications if a watch "consumes" data from the phone.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Another thing to consider in addition is that Google are bringing out a new OS for smartwatches, wear OS 3. The kicker with that is the most of the current Smartwatches on sale will not get the upgrade as they require new hardware which is only available in a few watches currently on sale. Wear OS 3 is supposedly going to be released in 2022 and Google will only provide security updates for all other smartwatches for 2 years. After that you're on your own.

More here

If this doesn't bother you then you do have some options. I have a Casio WSD-F21HR, which does it all, but is a bit out of your price range, but the used market is no bad place to look, especially for these as they are build like tanks.

Jody

Stubborn git
I've got a Samsung Watch Active 2. Does all the things you mention but also includes ECG, blood pressure etc. Great watch and within your budget.

Only 2 days out of a battery but that's the price you pay for the features it has. Life can be extended if you disable certain features.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!

Thanks

Garmin Instinct.

Brilliant watch - does everything I need. Terrific GPS and masses of en-route data available if you want it. Can answer calls and texts from it. HR monitoring and much, much more.

RRP £270, got mine on Amazon for £190 and I saw it a couple of weeks ago for £150 on Amazon as I think Garmin are pushing their more expensive solar version.

Two weeks battery life, 16 hours GPS tracking (40 on a reduced track setting).

Bargain of the century if you get it for £150.

Had a Fitbit and it was a piece of junk in comparism - poor GPS performance, kept losing phone connection, and the much-vaunted Spotify integration is pathetic - you have to come out of any activity you are doing to use it. Garmin, you can use it without exiting the activity.

If you get a Garmin be prepared for a steep learning curve re set-up! It's complicated!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I've got a Samsung Watch Active 2. Does all the things you mention but also includes ECG, blood pressure etc. Great watch and within your budget.

Only 2 days out of a battery but that's the price you pay for the features it has. Life can be extended if you disable certain features.

I've got the older one - does the job well.

Jody

Stubborn git
I've got the older one - does the job well.

Integration with my phone is great.

The "find my phone" feature gets used a lot :laugh:

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Something in the Garmin Fenix range if you can stretch to it. Smart watches IMO are good at the smart integration but battery life suffers! Had to charge my Apple Watch every night! That’s just rank rotten. Fenix last easily the week recording a daily cycle commute of 30 miles and steps, sleep patterns etc etc .

Big T

Guru
I’ve got a Garmin Forerunner 45 (I think it’s been replaced by the 55). Its the cheapest in the Forerunner range - it’s actually a runner’s watch but it has a Cycling Mode and GPS for recording rides ( not navigation). It has Optical HRM too. Pairs with your phone, so will show text messages.
The 45 is still available for about £120. Battery life is good. It will last about 10 days on a charge if not using GPS mode. You could also consider the Vivoactive 3, which is not quite so runner-specific but has similar functionality and is only slightly more expensive - about £140.

Last edited:
Top Bottom