What song for Yorkshire?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Venod

Eh up
Just posted this before I saw your thread.

http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/2014-tour-de-france.139930/

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Alistair Griffin??? Who is Alistair Griffin.... and which divot thinks he is qualified to write a song for Yorkshire?

Apparently....

"....Alistair Griffin was born in Middlesbrough. [MIDDLESBROUGH???] He started singing and writing songs whilst still a student at York St. John College (now York St. John University), playing guitar and busking on the streets of York with a small band. His wide musical influences range from classic rock and Britpop, to English and American folk music. After graduating with a BA (Hons) in English Literature and following a brief stint working as a milkman around his home town, he moved to London to pursue a career as a singer/songwriter.

In 2001, as vocalist with the pop/rock band Sugartown, [WHO????] he performed in front of 70,000 people at the Leeds Party in the Park. The following year, he and his occasional songwriting partner, Stuart Hanna (now part of folk duo Megson...?? YOU GET THE DRIFT) formed the band Pulse, and co-wrote the song "Fade Away" (having recorded the song on an 8-track in Hanna's bedroom) and entered it for the 2002 Song for Europe competition on BBC Radio 2. The song was shortlisted, and a performance by Pulse was broadcast, but it failed to reach the finals. {[YOU MAY BE STARTING TO WONDER WHY]

Griffin was briefly a member of the boyband Ultra and spent some time working in Germany with DJ Sammy. It was widely reported that he auditioned for the boyband Blue, only narrowly failing to make it to the final line-up, but Griffin later dismissed this as a fabrication by the press. [HE"S NOT ONLY USELESS BUT DELUSIONAL] Although signed by music publisher Trevor Horn's company, Perfect Songs, he was unable to get a solo recording contract and in 2002, [NO COMMENT] he applied to become a contestant on the first series of Fame Academy. [GOOD GRIEF]...."

Case rests, m'lud.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Alistair Griffin??? Who is Alistair Griffin.... and which divot thinks he is qualified to write a song for Yorkshire?

Apparently....

"....Alistair Griffin was born in Middlesbrough. [MIDDLESBROUGH???]

Middlesbrough was originally in Yorkshire before boundary changes. County cricket used to played at Aklam Park. As a kid I used to get dragged there kicking and screaming to watch a game of chess on grass.

The county, as always, is reluctant to relinquish it's claim to territory annexed by boundary changes though I fail to see what Middlesborough has to offer any county....

In October 2003, Griffin signed a record deal with UMTV and at the end of December released his first single, "Bring It On"; a double A-side also featuring "My Lover's Prayer", a duet with Robin Gibb. Although it received very little airplay, it was voted #1 for 6 consecutive weeks on the music TV channel The Box, and reached the top 5 in the UK Singles Chart. On 9 January 2004, he was therefore able to fulfil one of his lifetime ambitions to appear live on Top of the Pops.
In January 2004, he released his debut album, also titled Bring It On, featuring mainly self-penned songs. This charted at number 12 in the UK Albums Chart. His second single, "You and Me (Tonight)", reached the top 20 but Griffin parted with both his record company and management soon afterwards.

Griffin's third single "Just Drive" entered the UK Singles Chart at number 38, after being played in full over the BBC's F1 montage at the end of the 2010 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix. The track was produced with David Watts at the Oakwood Studios, York. "Just Drive" has been chosen as the title song for Sky's F1 coverage on their new channels "Sky Sports F1" and "Sky Sports F1 HD".

In July 2012, he released his second solo album Albion Sky, on the label Dramatico Entertainment.

Griffin's song "Always, No.1" was played in full over the BBC's F1 montage at the end of the 2012 Brazilian Grand Prix.

The following year, he and his occasional songwriting partner, Stuart Hanna (now part of folk duo Megson...?? YOU GET THE DRIFT)
STU HANNA & DEBBIE HANNA are the husband & wife duo MEGSON. Three times nominated in the BBC Radio 2 Folk Awards and double winners of the 2011 Spiral Earth Awards they draw heavily on their Teesside heritage to create a unique brand of folk music. Their infectious sound is a mix of heavenly vocals, lush harmonies and driving rhythmic guitars and mandolas. As FROOTS Magazine puts it ‘if you don’t like the music here then you have a problem’

Their last album ‘THE LONGSHOT’ had rave reviews from the national press with 4 Star **** reviews from MOJO, THE FINANCIAL TIMES, UNCUT, THE SUNDAY EXPRESS and THE GUARDIAN ‘the most original duo on the folk scene’. THE GUARDIAN ran a major feature on them and THE INDEPENDENThas listed MEGSON in their TOP GIGS TO SEE section on numerous occasions.

Griffin has been a busy boy in Yorkshire and he still lives in the county unlike his critic. :thumbsup:

byegad

Legendary Member
Middlesbrough was when I was born an independent borough within the North Riding of Yorkshire. I was born there and had I been any good at cricket would have qualified as eligible to play for Yorkshire. I'm proud to be a Tyke, famous for making the Scots look like open handed philanthropists.

Top Bottom