What sort of places have you taken your folder into?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
When I bought my Brompton the saleswoman told me she takes hers to the pub and into cafes. I've seen one in a private library that I sometimes visit.

Has anyone taken one into a cinema or theatre? Can you check it in at the coat check?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
When I bought my Brompton the saleswoman told me she takes hers to the pub and into cafes. I've seen one in a private library that I sometimes visit.

Has anyone taken one into a cinema or theatre? Can you check it in at the coat check?
Yes. But I do put a D-lock through it when doing so as most cloakrooms will refuse responsibility. Galleries and museums give it a mixed reception.

GM

Legendary Member
I've taken mine into the National Portrait Gallery loads of times for their 'drop-in and draw sessions'. Just take it downstairs to the cloakroom, and a couple of quid in the donation box.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I've had mine in the Wigmore Hall cloakroom many times. As long as the cloakroom is adequate, most don't seem to mind, although when we went to the Old Vic they were explicit on their website that their cloakroom was tiny and probably wouldn't be able to accept folding bikes - I'd guess the same might be true of some of the older theatres.

OP
OP
annedonnelly

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I've had mine in the Wigmore Hall cloakroom many times. As long as the cloakroom is adequate, most don't seem to mind, although when we went to the Old Vic they were explicit on their website that their cloakroom was tiny and probably wouldn't be able to accept folding bikes - I'd guess the same might be true of some of the older theatres.

Thanks, that's the sort of thing I'm interested in. I guess in London staff might be more used to seeing them. I'll probably check before I turn up anywhere important - I'd hate to get thrown out of a venue because I've brought my bike :smile:

fimm

Veteran
I've done the "round the supermarket in a trolley" thing with my Brompton once but concluded it was (in the case of that supermarket at least) less hassle to lock it up outside. I also took it round B&Q on a trolley when there was a lack of places to lock it. When the mountaineering club I'm a member of are in our usual pub there can be 2 or 3 Bromptons shoved into corners!

StuartG

slower but further
The only place I have been refused was on an almost empty London Night Bus. Even showing him TfL official policy cut no ice. The driver had 'issues' and I didn't really feel holding other people up to prove a point was worth it when they run every 15 minutes. But you can bump into these strange people anywhere. Apart from that and on buses of all sorts, no problem and often a smile.

Never, never put a Brommie in an overhead rack ... unless you wear a helmet :sad:

I've taken my cycle into the cinema at Covent Garden Odeon - which was a bit of a surprise. I've left it in the tiny ad-hoc cloak room in a pub venue on pentonville rd (I apologised to the girl for taking up so much space, but she thanked me for making her evening more interesting), and innumerable pubs and restaurants. Most restaurants have a space for a checked-luggage size bag, and will happily put a bicycle in it.

Trolley at the supermarket, or with a basket at small one.

Never tried theatre - too expensive if they turn you away.

If you bring it with you to the doctors, they tend not to ask you if you are active.

Top Bottom