What sort of shoes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mille

I am currently awaiting delivery of my new bike which according to the spec comes with Shimano SPD M505 pedals.

Having only ever used normal pedals and trainers before now, could someone give me a bit of info on what to buy to be able to actually ride the thing.

A guy I know says I should go for a shoe that I can walk in, but looking at the Interweb, there seems to be loads of different types.

Also, will the cleats come with the pedals or do I need to buy them too?

I'd be grateful for any help.

Cheers

Claire :biggrin:

Hi Claire

Most new pedals come with cleats - you should check that this is so with the supplier as they are £16 or so a pair.

Shoes come in three types - spd only(which you have and is a two bolt system which is easy to walk in) spd-sl only (which have three bolts to attach the triangular cleat and are hard to walk in but transfer power better) and shoes which cater for both systems.

So you need a pair of spd compatible shoes - the best bet is to buy from a shop where you can try the shoes on as the fit of different makes can vary widely.

longers

Legendary Member
Pete is spot on, especially about being able to try them on before you buy.

I've never been to Stone but my boss lives there, assuming it's the same place - have you a decent shop locally you can visit and try a few on?

Mine are fairly stiff soled which is good for on the bike but are also very comfy for spending all day in while off the bike if need be, so there are shoes out there like that.

Tynan

Veteran
if you;re going to do any walking get the MTB style shoes that mask the cleat, that said I have clanked about plenty in road shoes, people do lookthough and parquet floors don;t like it

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
what sort of riding/walking combo will you be doing?

road specific shoes are terrible for walking in, the cleat is totally exposed and there's minimal grip on the bottom. you'll wear the cleat out and damage a nice wood or laminate floor very quickly. MTB ones are chunkier soled, more trainer like in appearance and you can get away with spending the day in them in town or at work if needs be.

also on an aesthetics point of view, MTB shoes on a road bike will get you laughed at by a certain type of roadie and vice verca.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Well if you have Shimano SPD M505 pedals, you will need an MTB shoe, these come in a wide range of styles, including sandals. It is best to try a pair on before you buy, Shimano are noted shoes are noted for being a narrow fit, but Specialized BG shoes offer a wider fitting and there are plenty of others. Don't worry about using MTB shoes on a road bike, only real saddos (club cyclist, who don't have a life) will laugh, real world cyclist don't care.

OP
OP
M

Mille

Thanks for all your help everyone.

I'll be riding a road bike but the MTB shoes sound like a good bet.

It's not really that I'll need to do all day walking in them, but I would rather have the option.

I'm not bothered about people laughing at me :sad:, don't see many folk on my commute :biggrin:.

When you say the shimano shoes are narrow, does that go for the women's ones too. I think I have fairly narrow feet anyway but don't want to be uncomfortable.

Claire.

mossy

Hi Claire

If its Stone Staffs just up the road in the Potteries is Swinnertons cycles.Google them ,they are very good .
My advice is always try on.
For me I have to go up one size in Shimano shoes ,for some people this can be two sizes.Best to try.
Good luck

OP
OP
M

Mille

Hi, yes it's Stone, Staffs.

I'll try Swinnertons. Cheers.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Mille said:
Thanks for all your help everyone.

I'll be riding a road bike but the MTB shoes sound like a good bet.

It's not really that I'll need to do all day walking in them, but I would rather have the option.

I'm not bothered about people laughing at me :smile:, don't see many folk on my commute :sad:.

When you say the shimano shoes are narrow, does that go for the women's ones too. I think I have fairly narrow feet anyway but don't want to be uncomfortable.

Claire.

Really the best thing is to find a shoe which stocks the shoes you like and try a few pairs on, every ones feet are different, the only reliable way to find out if they are right for you is to try them on. If they feel comfortable to walk in they will be comfortable to ride in... :sad:

Top Bottom