What suspension fork is this?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

22point8

Hi, can you tell me what kind of suspension fork this is? Just out of curiosity really, I've never seen any other where the spring is external. The bike is a Raleigh Cyclone 21 speed bought from Halfords in 1999 or 2000.
There don't seem to be any identifying numbers anywhere. The height of the black rubber outer cover is 100mm. The forks don't actually seem to do much except when going down a curb.

IMG_20151228_145726.jpg
IMG_20151228_145712.jpg
IMG_20151228_145553.jpg

It is an entry-level Suntour fork with no damping mechanism other than high friction in the seals and bushes. As you say, it hardly does anything. It is high fashion to fit anything that resembles a mountain bike with something that resembles suspension. Otherwise they just don't sell. The only way you can downgrade that suspension system is to get a frame with the matching rear suspension system that also does nothing other than stockpile a lump of steel and gives a go-fast impression to the impressionable.

There are some redeeming features on that fork such as the nice silver colour and bold graphics.

OP
OP

22point8

Haha, yeah I know what you mean. I fixed it up last year as a learning experience after years if it being unrideable due to its dreadful suntour fd-xr16 front derailleur, bent tooth on chainset, worn out freewheel. I'd lost the mounting screw to the fd and it stayed in the garage fir about 10 years. It was a present for my 12th or 13th birthday. I still ride it now because its the only bike I have, when I can rearrange the packed garage I want to get something along the lines of a voodoo marasa, then my brother can have this as the reach is a bit too short for me.

My mum just got a bike, a Dawes Tanami 2015 from winstanleys for £300, pretty good for 27 speed acera shifters/fd/octalink crankset and alivio rd.

So for around 300 I want a rigid forked hybrid with a 48-36-26 crankset, 27 speed, and preferably Hydraulic disc brakes, or at least mounts for them on the frame and fork. The ridgeback dualtrack x3 looks good too.

Top Bottom