What temperature for shorts?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Leaway2

Lycrist
Still longs at 06:30. It was very cold here yesterday and today. I felt it mainly in my fingers, today even with 2 pairs of gloves on.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
It's important to look at the temperature at the point when you are commuting, it may well be 10degrees at lunch time but are you commuting at that time?

when the temp in the morning gets to above 6 or 7degrees then i will put shorts on, until then it's tights and base layers on top.

+1

it was 2 degrees on my way home ,definitely a legging day assuming i was on the bike, skivving due to the sniffles this week :smile:.

I tend to carry extra stuff just in case so atm i have a pair of shorts and some tights over the top.
When it warms up a bit i shall ditch the tights and take leg warmers which i can stick on or bung in the bag when its nice.

When i see daylight on my commute i might think of just wearing shorts again :biggrin:

JDP

Andiamo
Still wearing a jumper, windproof jacket, gloves and a buff on occasions! :whistle:

Did takes the gloves off for a few minutes last week but it didn't last.

It may be a few months before the shorts appear. :rolleyes:

Maz

Guru
Simple rule of thumb for me...

If it's less the 10 celcius keep your knees covered.

Tynan

Veteran
longs base and ls a the mo, gillet too

shorts won't come out until longs and ss are too warm for a few days running

On club run last sunday only one guy in shorts, he was the one that ran out of energy at the end. Check the pros,never in shorts until around 17 - 18C. For me as with others on here, 15C+. I don't feel the cold much but I do know the damage I'm doing to my knees in shorts below these temps. Just cracks me up seeing the mtb'ers in there baggy shorts in winter, wish I was that 'ard.

potsy

Rambler
I assume arm and leg warmers are in use all year round...... :whistle:

You ass-u-me wrong Martin
tongue.gif

In a fit of madness I did wear my gilet today instead of the long sleeve jacket, was flipping freezing
rolleyes.gif

OP
OP
som3blok3

som3blok3

Well, I can confirm that I did have slightly chilly legs on the ride home :whistle:..... Think I'll hang the shorts back up for a few more weeks at least, wait for 15+c.
The ride in at 08:30 was quite liberating, it was around 7 degrees, felt a bit naked!! Well, it was my first time in Lycra shorts.

Top Bottom