What the blazes is this music?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Foghat

Freight-train-groove-rider
Greetings, music lovers! :tongue:

Is anyone able to help me identify the artist and piece of music that I've added to this photo from a wholly unrelated kayaking trip? It's been driving me nuts for years!......I know there's a number of well qualified musos here, so maybe, finally, after recording it off the television in the late 1980s, I'll find out what it is.

Extra points for anyone who can identify the kayaking venue (not easy, I know). :angry:

not sure but has a hint of 'deliverence' about it!

Canrider

Guru
Venue looks (to me) like the Inside Passage on the BC coast. But that's me. I agree it's Sunflower River Blues, but if you recorded it off the TV in the 1980s I don't think you'll have much luck tying down to a particular artist!
edit: I take it back, could it be that Sal Guitarez(sp?) video from 1984 that's on YouTube?

domtyler

Über Member
Sounds like 'Sunflower River Blues' composed and played in Open C (CGCGCE) by John Fahey to me. I could be wrong though. ;)

Speicher

Vice Admiral
domtyler said:
Sounds like 'Sunflower River Blues' composed and played in Open C (CGCGCE) by John Fahey to me. I could be wrong though. ;)

How could you say such a thing - that really takes the biscuit;):tongue::biggrin:
I know exactly where you found that out!:smile: Please notice that I politely pointed Foghat in the right direction xx(;) on my reply.

Canrider

Guru
Mm, except in the late 80s Fahey was suffering from Epstein-Barr and alcoholism. He pulled his life back together in the mid 90s and then died in 2001. (Man, wiki can really come through for you sometimes.. ;) )

OP
OP
Foghat

Foghat

Fantastic! I knew youtubing it, and linking to the clip here, would yield success. This has confounded me for nearly 20 years!!

Speicher - I've only just read the answer on youtube, but a quick listen on Amazon.com reveals that it is indeed 'Sunflower River Blues', and judging from the sound of it, the very same version/recording as the one I lifted off the television.

Marvellous! ;)

OP
OP
Foghat

Foghat

Canrider said:
Venue looks (to me) like the Inside Passage on the BC coast. But that's me.

Good effort, Canrider. It is BC, but not coastal. Cracking trip it was. ;)

domtyler

Über Member
Speicher said:
How could you say such a thing - that really takes the biscuit;):smile::tongue:
I know exactly where you found that out!:blush: Please notice that I politely pointed Foghat in the right direction ;);) on my reply.

What the blazes are you suggesting Speicha'? :biggrin::tongue:

Top Bottom