What the hell is wrong with some people

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dand_uk

Cycling along on a very wide 40mph single carriageway with enough room for a heavy to pass me. No oncoming traffic, pretty light traffic in my direction. I have rear light on and high vis jacket so clearly visible, road has excellent visibility and is straight.

Idiot in a hatchback decides to overtake me within 10cm of my handlebars at 50mph. He had plenty of room to overtake me safely without even crossing the centre line as at the point he passed there is two lanes marked at a traffic light side road junction. This was deliberate.

What the hell is wrong with this person? Does just being on the road on a bike fill him was such rage that he wants to scare the shoot out of me? Is it in some deranged way amusing to threaten someones life?

You can see how people get killed by swerving slightly to avoid potholes.

BSRU

A Human Being
Unfortunately there are too many drivers like that who do it for various reasons:cursing:

sabian92

Über Member
What you mean they're all women???

:laugh:

People are peanuts when they get in cars. For some reason perfectly sane individuals turn into borderline murdering psychopaths when they get behind the wheel. I used to be and I can now admit I'm a bit ashamed of it. I've calmed down a lot since I've started using the road as a cyclist.

Not a lot you can do unfortunately - maybe get a mirror mounted on your helmet like this?

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/blackburn/helmet-mirror-ec006158

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
I think I really know where you are coming from -it's not what happened so much, it's the fact there's a person out there who will do it. I remember one day waiting at some lights one day (quite a few years ago) and a driver pulling up and just started laying into me about "get off the f**king road", etc, etc Keep in mind I'd been waiting a while at the light, and as far as I was aware I'd not seen the bloke nor had any issue with him.

It wasn't the words that really upset me; they didn't bother me a bit (perhaps some board members have had far worse anyway and I've been lucky). What did bother me was the fact there was a really angry person out there who had enough venom to shout and curse at someone they'd never seen before....... What kind of people are they?

Oh well, did take me some time to let go of that, but I certainly remember it!

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Cycling along on a very wide 40mph single carriageway with enough room for a heavy to pass me. No oncoming traffic, pretty light traffic in my direction. I have rear light on and high vis jacket so clearly visible, road has excellent visibility and is straight.

Idiot in a hatchback decides to overtake me within 10cm of my handlebars at 50mph. He had plenty of room to overtake me safely without even crossing the centre line as at the point he passed there is two lanes marked at a traffic light side road junction. This was deliberate.

What the hell is wrong with this person? Does just being on the road on a bike fill him was such rage that he wants to scare the shoot out of me? Is it in some deranged way amusing to threaten someones life?

You can see how people get killed by swerving slightly to avoid potholes.

Had similar on Queensway a few weeks back. Guy had space, he just had to wait 2 seconds for the road to open up into two lanes to get past, but in his tiny mind he had to make a grand statement by getting as close to me as he could.

So I think I shouted something like "watchout", nothing bad, just seriously concerned at the guy's proximity. 2 seconds later he's stopped at the junction to the roundabout and this lad of about 17 is leaning out the drivers window shouting profanities at me for "being in the middle of the road"

My response was a bit pissed off and telling him its my right to adopt my position and that perhaps he should ACTUALLY read the f***ing highway code as he might learn something. Precocious little b***ard, probably only been driving for a few weeks and has already learned this entitlement disorder...

...anyway, I digress... Police snipers should be used on the road to keep the damn peace, LOL!

dawesome

:laugh:

People are peanuts when they get in cars.

Maylian

Veteran
I had the same this week, some guy coming down the hill to my work early in the morning. I was the only thing on the road and to the left (very large run off on the left of the road markings) and he got as close as possible and I did have a wobble.

Travelling home the other night as well I got flashed and beeped coming up to a roundabout. The limit is 40 and I do about 30 on it, just after the round about they zoomed past and slammed on the brakes swerving so I couldn't go past hurling abuse at me. Had it been just one person I would have completely reciprocated but since there was two I just apologised and they went on their way.

On the flip side (because we only ever hate on car drivers) I was getting a taxi the other night and the taxi driver went past two cyclists, each time going completely into the oncoming lane to pass them when safe. I gave him a very big tip just for the way he respected cyclists.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
I had the same this week, some guy coming down the hill to my work early in the morning. I was the only thing on the road and to the left (very large run off on the left of the road markings) and he got as close as possible and I did have a wobble.

Travelling home the other night as well I got flashed and beeped coming up to a roundabout. The limit is 40 and I do about 30 on it, just after the round about they zoomed past and slammed on the brakes swerving so I couldn't go past hurling abuse at me. Had it been just one person I would have completely reciprocated but since there was two I just apologised and they went on their way.

On the flip side (because we only ever hate on car drivers) I was getting a taxi the other night and the taxi driver went past two cyclists, each time going completely into the oncoming lane to pass them when safe. I gave him a very big tip just for the way he respected cyclists.

I dont think any of us would deny there are prats on bikes. Being a prat is not exclusive to mode of travel. :laugh: Kudos to that taxi driver.

I remember being in the car a couple of years ago in a two lane traffic jam across a roundabout. The exit merged us to one lane.
I looked to my right into the eyes of the red faced neanderthal driving alongside me. He pointed at himself, at his car, then at the front of me - the idea being that he believed it his right to be ahead of me, and was willing to use violence to ensure it.
Got to admit I had to let him have his wish because I couldn't drive for laughing!

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
It also baffles me why people in cars feel they HAVE to overtake a bike, whatever the cost. I get overtaken for no apparent reason on a regular basis, even if we are 10yards from a red traffic light or junction. Surely they realise that they have to stop in 10 yards' time so what is the point in overtaking? It's not so bad when it is a safe overtake, but half the time it's too close and/or too fast.

Top Bottom