What the ???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Daddybus

Über Member
Location
Stoke on Trent
Saw this bizarre chainring on eBay ... what why ?
Screenshot_2016-02-02-22-22-13.png
 

pclay

Guru
Location
Rugby
Have you not heard of oval chain rings. They are all the rage.
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=o...&ie=UTF-8&hl=en-GB#hl=en-GB&q=oval+chainrings
 

winjim

Straddle the line, discord and rhyme
It increases effective chainring diameter on the pedal downstroke, creating a higher gear at the point where the most power is produced. I think Froome might use them.
 

Illaveago

Legendary Member
I think they fitted a similar crank on a Raleigh ATB in the late 80's early 90's, I think there is one on an old Raleigh that I have but the ovality is not so pronounced but it did feel odd.
 

Drago

Legendary Member
Location
The Urban Fringe
It increases effective chainring diameter on the pedal downstroke, creating a higher gear at the point where the most power is produced. I think Froome might use them.
and there's the other sort espoused by the likes of Geoff Apps which have the maximum chain travel at the dead point in the pedal stroke, not to produce more power but to even out the power delivery when off road and reduce the chance of breaking traction in slimy surfaces. Supposedly.
 
Top Bottom