What the.. !!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Mmm. Interesting banter here. - That question popped into my mind recently too, and I found some answers.

You see my rear wheel is a 10 speed cassette, and the freehub body on mine isn't a dull boy, considering all the play in it.

Considering the mileage of <1K miles I investigated the matter further; discovering to my surprise that the 10mm Allen you need to take off the freehub body whilst in the axle was actually a 11MM Torx key of some kind, After investigating this was due to it being a cheap-knock-off hub of some earlier less common designs for this type of freehub.

Or atleast, that's what I found online. I Also scored out Boardmans own website to check out their own range.

They do not list their Halfords sponsored bikes on their websites, but despite that I still found the same generic cheap hub on the front/rear wheels of sub <£600 models.

So I don't think the cheap hub had any relation to Halfords, it's just a small cost-cutting edge that boardman took to put it in a lower price bracket. - Just like they did on this bike with the front mech, which has its own place in hell reserved already.

But the hub provided on this bike isn't the cheapest thing in the world, it feels more of a pre-modern shimano rip off.
Shame, I was just hoping to look up an exploded diagram or something to check for clues. I'm afraid I'm out of ideas.

OP
OP
T

Tangoup51

Shame, I was just hoping to look up an exploded diagram or something to check for clues. I'm afraid I'm out of ideas.

No worries, There's not a whole lot to the Axle or hub anyway, 2 cones, 2 nuts, 2 locknuts and 2 washers.. and 2 dust shields.

the furthest thing from my mind is to blame the hub, it may be cheap and unknown but it's highly functional and i've never had a problem with it.

It's just the way Boardman designed this bike, - Not just the fork, even the BB has an unusual weld inside of it to give it extra strength but limits the choice of BB shells you can have. - Just like the fork, it is forsaking compatibility for strength, I guess you'll be fine if you keep the stock wheel and single-piece rotors.

This is overall a small price to pay for a fork that's Disc, Carbon, Looks good, but also Rated at a 2 year warranty on XC trails on a bike that Last I saw was less than £600 !

Top Bottom