What tires?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alex_ata

I've noticed that pretty much every fixed gear rider is into skidding big time. I want to do this with my single-speed, but my tires are no where near strong enough - they show signs of wear even after really slow and short skids.

Would anybody be able to suggest some good tires that I could put on my single speed that would allow me to do this - my bike is a Raleigh Flyer.

Thanks x

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
1st, you need to go fixed not single speed.

2nd - Halo do some crap coloured tyres that are great for skidding, apparently.

I say crap, I doubt they grip well. I'll stick with my Conti GP 4 Seasons and no skidding

fossyant said:
I'll stick with my Conti GP 4 Seasons and no skidding

+1

Can't see the point in skidding all the time TBH. I may occaisionally lock up the rear under heavy breaking, but I try to keep that to a minimum if it happens.

Skidding for the sake of posing is a waste of rubber and makes you look a prat.

OP
OP
A

alex_ata

Touche said:
+1

Can't see the point in skidding all the time TBH. I may occaisionally lock up the rear under heavy breaking, but I try to keep that to a minimum if it happens.

Yeah this is what I mean, I live in an area where it's very hilly and the main use for this bike is for bombing hills with my friends. I only need some better wearing tires because occasionally a car comes round the corner and so far I've been lucky enough to see them coming so I can slow down in time, but it's just an accident waiting to happen; hence I need some tires that will allow me to stop suddenly with minimum wear to them.

And fossyant, why do I need to go fixed?

Anybody got any opinions on the Soma Everwears? General opinion so far seems to be well lasting, but the side walls blow quickly. I'm a complete bike noob, would anybody be able to tell me what the side wall is? (I'm guessing it's the side of the tire but just checking)?

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Touche said:
+1

+ 2

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
alex_ata said:
Yeah this is what I mean, I live in an area where it's very hilly and the main use for this bike is for bombing hills with my friends. I only need some better wearing tires because occasionally a car comes round the corner and so far I've been lucky enough to see them coming so I can slow down in time, but it's just an accident waiting to happen; hence I need some tires that will allow me to stop suddenly with minimum wear to them.

And fossyant, why do I need to go fixed?

Anybody got any opinions on the Soma Everwears? General opinion so far seems to be well lasting, but the side walls blow quickly. I'm a complete bike noob, would anybody be able to tell me what the side wall is? (I'm guessing it's the side of the tire but just checking)?

Because you cant lock your back wheel out using your legs and skid using a SS. This is what the whole fixie skidding skill is based on, this is why they compete to skid furthest using lots of exotic techniques to get the weight over the front wheel while looking "cool", anybody can slam a rear brake and lock up a rear wheel.

Skidding means loosing grip and hence taking longer to stop. Its not a safety mechanism, its a side effect of over braking.

I dont stand a cat in hells chance of locking up the rear on my fixed, it would bolt me right out of the saddle.

iLB

Hello there
grumble grumble- old age - grumble - damn hipsters - grumble- ow my hip -grumble- skidding all the time - grumble - o for the joys of youth - grumble grumble

;);)

davidad

iLB said:
grumble grumble- old age - grumble - damn hipsters - grumble- ow my hip -grumble- skidding all the time - grumble - o for the joys of youth - grumble grumble

;);)
And while we're at it it's tyre NOT tire.

Davidc

Guru
davidad said:
And while we're at it it's tyre NOT tire.

+1

I saw the thread title and assumed it was about fatigue. Most surprised when it was about pneumatic rubber goods.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Single Speed is a waste of time...... why...just ride in one gear on a geared bike..fixed is a bit different, and better.......... I'm a die hard roadie, happy to grind gears up hills, out the saddle and what ever.... but for work/commuting...fixed is the best.

The Manchester bunch have done some fixed rides - proper hills in the Peak...certainly do-able.....

WHY...

It's a good work out riding fixed...pedal fast/slow.... power/spin.. not easy... fab training, and it builds up tendons and stuff that gears don't - it's certainly strengthened a hamstring weakness I have had for 15 years..... without major hill training...

Go for it...Fixed.............

colinr

A skid-happy associate of mine swears by Vittoria Randonneurs, hard wearing and take a while to get through. Consider your gearing too, you want something with a lot of skid patches.

kyuss

Veteran
fossyant said:
2nd - Halo do some crap coloured tyres that are great for skidding, apparently.

They're actually pretty rubbish for skidding. I bought a pair off a mate for £20 after he won them in a skid comp. They grip fairly well and are quite comfortable but they wear pretty quick even when not skidding so I won't buy them again.

colinr said:
A skid-happy associate of mine swears by Vittoria Randonneurs, hard wearing and take a while to get through. Consider your gearing too, you want something with a lot of skid patches.

+1. More skid patches the better. And Randonneurs are apparently the dogs bollox for skidding. I've heard the 25c version is rubbish though, so unless your bike has clearance for 28c+ it might be worth looking elsewhere.

As for Soma Everwears. You must be daft to consider spending £40 a tyre so you can skid through it in a month or so, especially when they are famous for their dodgy sidewalls.

Maxxis Refuse and Bontrager Hardcase are apparently pretty hardwearing (I'll probably replace the Halo with one of those), and a lot of fixie skidders use Vittoria Zaffiro but I'm sure that's down to the fact they are dirt cheap rather than any good.

I'm not sure I understand the fascination with skidding anyway. It's good fun every now and then, but I have mates that skid every time they slow down. It must cost a fortune in rubber and doesn't look nearly as cool as they think it does.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
kyuss said:
I'm not sure I understand the fascination with skidding anyway. It's good fun every now and then, but I have mates that skid every time they slow down. It must cost a fortune in rubber and doesn't look nearly as cool as they think it does.

When I 1st got my fixed wheel bike I wanted to skid it, mainly to aquire this skill in case it was required, but soon realised, stopping my bike this way was like trying to stop a train with my current gearing, lol.

colinr

If I snap the brakes on I can lock the wheel out really easily on my 73". I discovered this after getting a bit too familiar with geared then trying to freewheel when braking on fixed.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
colinr said:
If I snap the brakes on I can lock the wheel out really easily on my 73". I discovered this after getting a bit too familiar with geared then trying to freewheel when braking on fixed.

You are braking with brakes plus legs though right, so your brakes will be doing most of the work? Or do you mean while braking using the front brake?

I cannot stop my 85" with my legs, it bucks me out of the seat. But I have a brake on the front and brake using that. Might add a back brake though.

Top Bottom