What to buy for long ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi there, I'm a novice cyclist but am taking part in a charity cycle event, where I'll be cycling in a 24 hour endurance event (teams of 4 so only have to cycle for 6 hours during the day)!!

I've been told that I need to buy some padded shorts... but haven't got a clue what to get.

Could someone recommend.. esentially I want whatever is going to do the best job of stopping by bum from hurting!! I also think that I would prefer some thing 3 quarter lenghts if available?!?!

Thanks in advance!
Rob

AndyRM

XOXO
I'd recommend a pair of bib shorts. They will be a little more expensive but the pad stays in place better than regular shorts so may be a better bet for a long stint in the saddle.

I have a pair made by Santini which I picked up half price at £50.

Have a look at the pad in the shorts before buying. One that has little holes will be better ventilated, and if it looks like it has been scored will be more flexible. Means a far more pleasant experience.

Personally I wouldn't get 3/4 length ones. Bit girly I think. If you are worried about temperature, you could always wear a pair of long shorts over the top.

Oh aye, and don't wear underwear with padded shorts. I made that mistake and got some fierce friction burns in unpleasant areas.

the snail

Guru
I got some padded shorts from Aldi the other week, and I find them good, also got some Endura which are better but were about £50. I'd say the most important thing is that they are a good snug fit so that the pad doesn't move about, and the pad is big enough, with smooth edges. You might find some sudocrem or chamois creme helpful too. Most important imo is that your saddle is adjusted properly, otherwise you'll be in a lot of pain regardless what you're wearing.

as 'snail' says - shorts is only part of the story. The best shorts in the world will be useless without a comfortable saddle and the correct riding position...

Top Bottom