What to buy.. hybrid bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ewicc

Hi, I am looking to buy a new bike, thinking of a hybrid so i can easily and safely cycle along the canal/tow path as well as the road. Also would be a safer in the wet than a road bike due to the slightly wider tyres. I would use it to cycle to work as well about 5-6 miles one way every so often. My workplace is participating in the cycle to work in partnership with halfords scheme.. so limited in the numberof storess/place I can use. I am thinking of a max budget of £550 for the bike.
So had these two Boardman HYB 8.6 or Specialized Sirrus 2.0 2020 in mind or opt to go for the cheaper he Voodoo Marasa or Carrera Subway 2 2020 bikes.
What would you guys recommend?

Thanks in advance

Drzdave58

Über Member
It’s hard to recommend based on the information you have provided. I would want to know if you are new to biking or are an experienced biker.
Your age could be a factor as well. But it is important you buy a bike suited to the type of riding you plan on doing. If you are sure of that and a hybrid fits the bill then that’s fine. One important thing to consider before purchasing is whether the riding position and geometry of the bike will be comfortable for you. A comfortable riding position is very important to me. Most hybrids offer a semi upright riding position but if you want an even more upright position then maybe a city bike would be more suitable. I think your price range can get you a decent quality bike. Take a few bikes for test rides if you can and good luck.

OP
OP
E

ewicc

I am 42, never been a serious cyclist but i cycled a lot as kid, had a race (road bike) and a bmx.
I will use the bike as said for cycling to work as long as the weather is not too bad about 5-6 miles each way. Also if I have free time and the weather is nice for pleasure at the weekend. There are quite a few parks near me and the canals paths which are nice to cycle along during summer.

Which out of the Boardman HYB 8.6 and Specialized Sirrus 2.0 2020 is better please?

Drzdave58

Über Member
I am 42, never been a serious cyclist but i cycled a lot as kid, had a race (road bike) and a bmx.
I will use the bike as said for cycling to work as long as the weather is not too bad about 5-6 miles each way. Also if I have free time and the weather is nice for pleasure at the weekend. There are quite a few parks near me and the canals paths which are nice to cycle along during summer.

Which out of the Boardman HYB 8.6 and Specialized Sirrus 2.0 2020 is better please?
You have good taste in bikes and can’t go wrong with either bike. They are almost the same as far as geometry and components and should provide a comfortable riding position. I’m assuming they are priced the same as well. The specialized has internal cable routing thru the frame which I personally prefer so would probably choose It. Make sure you get the right size of course. If you want a more upright riding position you can have an adjustable handlebar stem installed where you buy the bike. Let me know which one you bought. Good luck!

OP
OP
E

ewicc

Availability of bikes right now is shocking. I can get a Triban RC120 road bike which is in stock. Or do I wait for the Boardman HYB 8.6 (11.5kg) or the cheaper Carrera Subway 2 Mens Hybrid Bike (14kg) bikes which might come back into stock at the end of the month and see if I can grab one before they sell out again??
How much difference will an extra 2.5kg bike weight make? Both these hybrid bikes also have hydraulic disc brakes whereas the RC120 has rim brakes. Also the Subway 2 is £200 cheaper than the HYB 8.6.. decisions decisions...

jessand

Veteran
The specialized is ideal for your planned usage, it is a quality brand that will hold it's value. There's a shortage of bikes now but buying a less suitable bike because it's available would be a big mistake, even in the short term (IME). A hybrid is a good choice, 2.5kg will be very noticable - the Subway is a good bike at the money but doesn't compare to the Specialized or similar.

MarkF

Guru
Hi, I am looking to buy a new bike, thinking of a hybrid so i can easily and safely cycle along the canal/tow path as well as the road. Also would be a safer in the wet than a road bike due to the slightly wider tyres. I would use it to cycle to work as well about 5-6 miles one way every so often. My workplace is participating in the cycle to work in partnership with halfords scheme.. so limited in the numberof storess/place I can use. I am thinking of a max budget of £550 for the bike.
So had these two Boardman HYB 8.6 or Specialized Sirrus 2.0 2020 in mind or opt to go for the cheaper he Voodoo Marasa or Carrera Subway 2 2020 bikes.
What would you guys recommend?

Thanks in advance

Sirrus, I've had 2 and am picking up a 3rd later today, if/when you come to sell you'll be able to move it on easily. Hybrids are ace, I had a few false starts before getting one but once I did there was no stopping me, the ability to switch from trail to road made all the difference to me and with the addition of just a rack and bar ends on a Sirrus I've crossed France & Spain in comfort.

Chris S

Legendary Member
Get one with hydraulic brakes. They are the best. I know it’s hard to decide.
You can lock the wheels with cable brakes. Hydraulic brakes are just extra weight and aren't necessary for everyday use.

Drzdave58

Über Member
You can lock the wheels with cable brakes. Hydraulic brakes are just extra weight and aren't necessary for everyday use.
[QUOTE="ewicc, post: 6044411, member:
How much difference will an extra 2.5kg bike weight make? Both these hybrid bikes also have hydraulic disc brakes whereas the RC120 has rim brakes. Also the Subway 2 is £200 cheaper than the HYB 8.6.. decisions decisions...
[/QUOTE]
Two of these bikes He is considering have hydraulic brakes and one has rim brakes. Are you suggesting rim brakes are as good as hydraulic brakes?

vickster

Legendary Member
[QUOTE="ewicc, post: 6044411, member:
Two of these bikes He is considering have hydraulic brakes and one has rim brakes. Are you suggesting rim brakes are as good as hydraulic brakes?
[/QUOTE]
On clean rims, in dry conditions and decent pads, yes ime

Drzdave58

Über Member
[/QUOTE]
Well that is very interesting, I’ve used both styles of brakes and much prefer hydraulics. Don’t you find the hydraulic brakes perform better than rim brakes in wet conditions?

vickster

Legendary Member
Well that is very interesting, I’ve used both styles of brakes and much prefer hydraulics. Don’t you find the hydraulic brakes perform better than rim brakes in wet conditions?
[/QUOTE]
I avoid riding in the wet. :laugh: I only have road bikes, two rim, 2 TRP Spyre mechanicals, don’t have issues with rim brakes.
I slow down, leave bigger gaps, and filter less in traffic in rain

MarkF

Guru
I've had a few hybrids, rim & hydraulic, neither are a reason I'd choose one over the other. Long tour? Rims all the way, blocks are 2eu in the Chinese shops in France and Spain.^_^

Drzdave58

Über Member
I avoid riding in the wet. :laugh: I only have road bikes, two rim, 2 TRP Spyre mechanicals, don’t have issues with rim brakes.
I slow down, leave bigger gaps, and filter less in traffic in rain
[/QUOTE]
Ok so you have had bikes in the past with hydraulic brakes correct? I avoid riding in the rain as well, but occasionally do get caught in it like most people do. I have 2 bikes with rim brakes at the moment and one with hydraulics, and have owned several bikes in the past with hydraulic brakes. I just find my confidence in making quick emergency stops when they come up is better with hydraulics but I also ride somewhat defensively like you do and try to avoid those situations if possible. I will say that my rim brakes do their job sufficiently in most situations.

Top Bottom