What to buy Trek or Giant?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Unused names

I'm sure many of you have answered this type of question before. So thanks to those who help me with this question.

Smallish budget £500, looking at something for road and some off road. Seen a Trek DS 8.3 and a Giant Roam. Both look like they will do the job without a problem.

Any advise on the best one to go for?

Thanks again

ScotiaLass

Guru
I'd say try them both out.
Everyone's different and what I may love, you may hate!
If they will both do the same job, go for what you feel the most comfortable on.
Whatever you decide, come back and show us pictures - we love pictures!

User269

I'm sure many of you have answered this type of question before. So thanks to those who help me with this question.

Smallish budget £500, looking at something for road and some off road. Seen a Trek DS 8.3 and a Giant Roam. Both look like they will do the job without a problem.

Any advise on the best one to go for?

Thanks again

You mean you've got a choice?? I've long since given up trying to buy a new bike because the make/model/colour/size I want isn't available anywhere. And as for trying them out..................I'm almost lost for words............it's years since I've found a shop that's actually got a bike I can sit on and try for size. Of course, they'll gladly order one for you, on payment of a deposit. Presumably this is why we have to resort to reading reviews and ordering online. I can't think of anything that costs £500 and more that I would be prepared to buy without actually seeing it, not even a washing machine.
Anyway, if you can actually try them out, make sure it's the right size, and that the design, frame geometry and components are what you want; at the end of the day it's all about what you want and what fits and suits you, not what reviews and existing owners tell you.

PS What's this thing on this forum with the misuse of 'advise' and 'advice'? (not to mention their, they're, your, you're, to, too, brake & break, to mention just a few).

PPS Don't forget to show us your pitchers.

vickster

Legendary Member
PS What's this thing on this forum with the misuse of 'advise' and 'advice'? (not to mention their, they're, your, you're, to, too, brake & break, to mention just a few).

PPS Don't forget to show us your pitchers.

Oh, the irony :biggrin:

pitcher_plant.jpg

19879_large.jpg

Zack_Greinke_on_July_29,_2009.jpg

Last edited:
Any advice on the best one to go for?
I don't know anything about those bikes TBH, but my advice with your budget would be to avoid anything with suspension forks.

Basic suspension forks, (and basic rear suspension for that matter), just add weight to what will probably already be a reasonably weighty bike> They offer no real benefit in terms of damping, and in fact I'd call them a novelty really more than anything else, and as such they just make the bike heavier to ride.

Hope that helps in some way.

MikeW-71

Veteran
I don't know anything about those bikes TBH, but my advice with your budget would be to avoid anything with suspension forks.

Basic suspension forks, (and basic rear suspension for that matter), just add weight to what will probably already be a reasonably weighty bike> They offer no real benefit in terms of damping, and in fact I'd call them a novelty really more than anything else, and as such they just make the bike heavier to ride.
^^ this.

Even for mild off-road use, they might as well not be there TBH.

However, the best way to decide is to test ride them if you can and see which one you like best. If you still can't decide, pick the one that you like the colour of :biggrin:

Top Bottom