What to Buy????

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I bought a globe sport in March & have covered aver 1000 miles on it now.
the Globe sport is around £300, but the base model is about £260 iirc. Main differences are adjustable stem & upgraded brakes if my memory serves me correctly :biggrin:

The LBS wouldn't do anyting on the price, but did throw in a set of mudguards & a rear rack.

If you buy a globe i'd also recommend changing the tyres as they seem to be asy to puncture. After getting 3 punctures in 2 days i changed to Schwalbe Marathon tyres (after many recommendations on here) & have not had a puncture since xx(

OP
OP
T

Top Cat

Thanks Soltydog. I too want mudguards and a rack ideally because I want to commute and be able to carry my work briefcase. I am interested to see you got them thrown in. Was that only with the sport model or is it worth my while pushing the dealer even on the basic Globe? I think with its silver colour and chrome finish m/guards and rack it could well be the business and from what people say a good sturdy workhorse.

What is it wiv tyres? Does no-one put ones on that give some serviceable life?? Back when I was a student I used to work my summer vacations at the Michelin factory in Stoke. I am sure they used to make decent bike tyres. Certainly my motorcycle tyres which are Michelins are excellent.

And you have done HOW MANY MILES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had not anticipated doing those many in a lifetime never mind 5 months.

TC

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Top Cat said:
I am interested to see you got them thrown in. Was that only with the sport model or is it worth my while pushing the dealer even on the basic Globe? I think with its silver colour and chrome finish m/guards and rack it could well be the business and from what people say a good sturdy workhorse.

And you have done HOW MANY MILES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had not anticipated doing those many in a lifetime never mind 5 months.

TC

The LBS was going to throw them in on the base model (the silver one :biggrin:) but in the end i opted for the sport model. I wanted the adjustable stem to give more options for handle bar position & i thought the upgraded brakes might be a good idea cause i'm not a lightweight xx(

I didn't expect to be doing that many miles, but with the globe I can commute on the trans pennine trail to work, which i actually prefer to riding my road bike on the country lanes & i also completed the full TPT last month. Hard going in some places but the globe coped well throughout

OP
OP
T

Top Cat

Job done. I finally plumped for a Giant CRS. I am having mudguards, rack and a side stand fitted. Although I quite liked the Globe, the dealer is further away and given my recent experience with the Raleigh I want to be able to rectify any problems on my doorstep as it were. The bike shop is almost visible from my office window. Could not get more local than that could I?? I hope to collect tomorrow and then start getting fit!!! Not sure about 1000miles in 5 months though. LOL.

Fear not, my new found friends, I suspect many more queries will now follow being as you have been so foolish as to keep replying to me!!

Thanks a lot.

TC

Top Bottom