What to do when you're run over?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A friend of mine was knocked off his bike in front of me a few weeks ago.

He's fine, and incident details aside, he decided to let the driver pay for a new bike and leave it at that.

In my opinion all incidents, particularly where the driver is at fault should be reported, but what is it we're meant to do?

Are there rules on this or is it each to his own?

I'd report it, but make clear who your and why (a witness and a concerned member of public)

I think unless the police decide otherwise its then upto the person knocked off/person doing the knocking if it goes further.....

Police may not take it further on your word, but you'll have the satisfaction of knowing you've done what you can.

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.

Can i drawn your attention to point (1) a of exactly what is quoted in your link of the Road Traffic Act 1988.

Duty of driver to stop, report accident and give information or documents.
mechanically propelled vehicle] on a road [F2or other public place], an accident occurs by which—

(a)personal injury is caused to a person other than the driver of that mechanically propelled vehicle.

It also goes on to say that it must be done within 24hrs.

This is the legislation by which we must all abide. It's not advice it's the law.

Just saying:whistle:

Last edited:

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
So as a witness I should report regardless of what the victim does?

The accident should be reported by those involved. It can be done by just one party that is involved as they are obliged by law to to exchange details so when they report it the Police will ask them for the other parties details. On occasion the person reporting the injury accident will not have the other parties details as they have failed to stop which can obviously be explained and will be investigated by the Police. However as a witness you can report it but you are not obliged to by law.

uclown2002

Guru
There is no legal requirement to report an accident to the police if you exchange required details at the scene.

What must a driver involved in a traffic accident do

A driver involved in a traffic accident should stop whether or not the accident was their fault if:-

• anyone, other than themselves, is injured; or
  • another vehicle, or someone else’s property, is damaged; or
  • an animal in another vehicle or running across the road is injured; or
  • a bollard, street lamp or other item of street furniture is damaged.
If you have to stop, you must remain near the vehicle long enough for anyone who is involved directly or indirectly in the accident to ask for details. This could be, for example, the owner of an injured animal, a relative of someone who is injured, or the police. The driver must then give their name and address, the name and address of the owner of the vehicle (if the driver is not the owner), and the registration number of the vehicle.

The driver may also have to report the accident to a police officer or at a police station, in person, as soon as practicable and in any case within 24 hours. This duty arises whenever the driver has not given their name and address at the scene of the accident, whether or not they were asked to do so.

If any personal injury is caused to another person, the driver must also produce a valid insurance certificate if asked to do so by a police officer, injured person, or anyone else directly or indirectly involved in the accident. If the insurance certificate is asked for, but not produced at the time, the accident must be reported to a police station as soon as practicable, or in any case within 24 hours, and the insurance certificate must be taken to a police station within seven days of the accident. However if the driver is asked at the time of the accident to produce insurance details and does so, there is no further obligation to report the accident to the police, as long as they have complied with the duties described above.

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/engla...st_a_driver_involved_in_a_traffic_accident_do

Last edited:
I give up! You lot will never learn a bloody thing. Carry on as you want.
May be, just may be if you were nicer, people would be happier to listen!

Your first input on this thread was

Rubbish

followed by

In fact, that comment is beyond rubbish. It is utter and complete horsecrap!

Not informative or helpful, just rude.

Then you go on to be helpful and present a link to the legislation, well done but probably ignored by many because of the previous posts.

Go on try being nice, it's fun :angel:

uclown2002

Guru
I refer you to point 6 in the legislation that you have linked to.

In order to comply and report the accident you need to do it to a constable ie a Police Officer.
You're not getting it!
If you stop and discharge your responsibilities at the scene, there is no legal obligation to report the accident to police; read my post above.

redcard

Veteran
I give up! You lot will never learn a bloody thing. Carry on as you want.

There is a lot of rubbish in this thread, including your contributions.

You didn't attempt to clarify any facts, made assumptions, skimmed over the relevant laws, attempted a bit of one-upmanship, and finally threw your dummy out the pram.

All-in-all, a big success!

To answer the OP, we don't know if the accident is reportable or not. We don't know if name, address and vehicle ID number were exchanged. If they were then it doesn't need to be reported. If they weren't exchanged then it does need to be reported.

However it's really up to the OP if he wants to report it; either way he's not getting slung in a cell.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
Heh, heh. This forum is nuts for an argument-perhaps age should be displayed along with posts?

Thanks for the helpful posts, I didn't realise how complicated this might be:

The driver stopped, as did two other incredulous and somewhat angry (at the perpetrating driver) drivers who witnessed the event. I took the car reg, the driver gave me his name, address and name of his insurer. I took the details of the witnesses.

My buddy was shook up but ok and accepted a lift from the driver back home. The driver recompensed him for the bike, and that's that as far as they are concerned.

My concern is that the police and possibly insurers should at least be aware of what happened because it was appalling driving - in my opinion, and of the other witnesses. I'm worried that the driver may well have another incident soon with more serious consequences:

My buddy was cycling on to a roundabout, with me following, in dayglo lemon at an appropriate pace taking the second exit, indicating clearly with his arm.
The inbound traffic at the first exit stopped, as if they had seen us - there were no cars coming from my right.
As my buddy passed the first exit, the driver pulled out straight at him, my buddy was now shouting but the guy drove straight into him dragging the bike under - but luckily not my friend.
I was somewhat horrified because by stopping, one can only assume the driver had looked directly at my dayglo buddy and somehow not seen him.
His glasses where on the thick side, and I'm concerned he has the right prescription or was even wearing them during the incident, either way it was terrible driving with no obvious other factors (eg the sun was not behind us blinding him).

You can always report bad driving of any type although the Police will want proof usually and if your friend isnt interested in pursuing it then it wont go far I suspect, although you never know he might have been hiding something.

400bhp

Guru
It should be reported to his insurance company, which is likely to affect his future premiums.

Uberrima Fides IIRC. You could report on his behalf:whistle:

Top Bottom