What to do

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Glasgow44

Veteran
Hi there.

I've been cleaning my bike (BMC Teammachine Carbon road bike). I've used muc-off degreaser on the chain and its all bare now and free of oil. I'm going put some Finish Line Wet Lube (green bottle) on the chain. I also have GT85 spray. Do I use this before I put the wet lube on the chain? What exactly is GT85 used for?

J

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
GT85 is not really all that great on chains IME. I use it more as a cleaner/wiping down solution.

I also use it as a water displacer after wet rides, before "mickling" the chain by repeated wiping with a cloth which may have a squirt of GT85 on it to loosen grease and grime. I then apply a thicker chain lube like your Finish Line product.

I find it useful to squirt down cable housings and to put on a cloth to wipe metal parts clean.

OP
OP
G

Glasgow44

Veteran
GT85 is not really all that great on chains IME. I use it more as a cleaner/wiping down solution.

I also use it as a water displacer after wet rides, before "mickling" the chain by repeated wiping with a cloth which may have a squirt of GT85 on it to loosen grease and grime. I then apply a thicker chain lube like your Finish Line product.

I find it useful to squirt down cable housings and to put on a cloth to wipe metal parts clean.

Thanks for that. I'll put on a cloth and wipe down the wee nooks and crannies of the rear hanger but not use it on the chain.

Thanks

OP
OP
G

Glasgow44

Veteran
Its my understanding that if I'm using wet lube like the one I'm going to put on the chain, there is no need for GT85 - is that right?

Top Bottom