What to grease and which grease?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sotal

Regular
I'm replacing the full drive train on the bike. I hear people mention things like they hear the threads for the BB but there is no mention in the dealer guide for putting grease on first (but the new BB does have something on the threads)

So as I'm rebuilding is there anything that needs greasing? If so what and which grease do I need to use? It is pretty much all new going on.

I have some red lithium Grease and some multi-purpose lithium based grease (brown stuff in a big grease gun).

Ajax Bay

Guru
The new BB will have threadlock on its threads. Do not grease. Spindle of the cranks could do with a thin wipe.
A wipe of grease on the freehub body before sliding on the cassette. Same on the threads of the lock ring, the FD braze-on or band on bolt, the RD screw (into the hanger). I'll leave it to others to argue which grease is best (but @figbat is in the tribe).

Ajax Bay

Guru
The bike is a Trek 1000SL.
A tiagra 50/34 crankset which has only done 50 miles before being taken off, along with a 4700 front mech and 4700 long rear mech which had also only done 50 miles.
A new ultegra BB.
I have the hollowtech 2 tool. I have a variety of greases.
Not many adjustable cups to grease: Ultegra BB for H2 crank (hence I did not include BB on my list ^^).
Do people use actually install new cup and cone BBs nowadays? You'd have to be hard core 'gotta keepit likeit was' to do so and use NOS from the last century (for any quality). UN-55 BBs give you the square taper you need. And 'yes' I removed a cup and cone BB yesterday: both sides came out so smoothly and the bearings in their cage were excellent, albeit devoid of grease and blinking in the light after (I estimate) 25 years in the dark (23 in my ownership and non-use).

Ajax Bay

Guru
what and which grease do I need to use? I have some red lithium Grease and some multi-purpose lithium based grease (brown stuff in a big grease gun).
Thought this Bike Gremlin article: "The Best Bicycle Bearing Grease" was informative.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I always grease BB threads*. They are a bear to remove if they corrode into place.

*except RH Italian cups: they need to go in very tight, with threadlock (which prevents corrosion anyway)
i even put grease inside the lh cup where the BB presss into it on squre taper BB, i havehad unknown creaks before that turned out to be that area creaking .

Top Bottom